Hi I came across this flag and can't find much information about this. Aything would help. Every flag I found was not of this size....
    brettp is offline Junior Member

Default 38 Star Flag 6' x 9' - HELP!

Hi I came across this flag and can't find much information about this. Aything would help. Every flag I found was not of this size.

NAVA1974 is offline Senior Member
    Columbia Maryland, native to Massachusetts.

Default Re: 38 Star Flag 6' x 9' - HELP!

Hello Brettp, and welcome to the USA Flag Forum. From what I can see, you have an authentic 38-star flag of wool bunting and cotton stars, all machine sewn, that dates from the 1877-1889 period. It is of a size and construction that would be flown on land. The condition is relatively good considering the potential for moth damage over the last 120+ years.The cotton heading and brass grommets are also appropriate to the period. It is a typical size one finds on the collector's market, and I would estimate its value between $200 and $450. Smaller flags that are easier to display can command higher prices.

Unless you have other documentation that came with the flag there is probably no way to tell where the flag was flown. Like today, there are thousands of flags being flown every day and there's nothing to distinguish one from another. The number "675" on the heading may be the original price of $6.75, though that would have been expensive for a 6x9 flag back then.

Do you have any specific questions about this flag?

Nick A
    Columbia Maryland

brettp is offline Junior Member

I came to this forum becuase I am at a loss when it comes to US Flags. I come across many interesting items as I collect military memoribilia and firearms. I am an FFL dealer by the way! I came across this flag in a collection. I was really wanting to know if it was authentic, in which case you provided me with the answer (much appreciated!) Now comes the question... where do I sell something like this?

NAVA1974 is offline Senior Member
    Columbia Maryland, native to Massachusetts.

Quote Originally Posted by brettp View Post
    I came across this flag in a collection. I was really wanting to know if it was authentic, in which case you provided me with the answer (much appreciated!) Now comes the question... where do I sell something like this?
    The value range I mentioned was based on what I see on eBay. 38's rarely sell for more than $500 there. If you want to sell it quickly, put it up on eBay with a starting price of $99 and the "bidding frenzies" may work to your advantage.

If you do gun shows, then you might bring it along as a backdrop to your table (NOT as a table cloth, please.) Put a price of, say $1500, on it and tell inquisitive people that you really didn't want to sell it, but you could sacrifice it for $1000

Nick A