Hi everybody and thanks in advance for any replies to my post. I have a beautiful 47 star flag that measures 112 inches by 55 inches. It only has a ...
    proy23 is offline Junior Member

Default 47 star flag

Hi everybody and thanks in advance for any replies to my post. I have a beautiful 47 star flag that measures 112 inches by 55 inches. It only has a few small moth holes in it. I had it authenticated for the period at a local museum but can find little information about value for sell or insurance. I hope somebody has some info for me. Thanks I will put pics up as soon as I figure it out

proy23 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: 47 star flag

Here are some pictures of the flag
    Attached Images Attached Images

NAVA1974 is offline Senior Member
    Columbia Maryland, native to Massachusetts.

Quote Originally Posted by proy23 View Post
    I have a beautiful 47 star flag ... but can find little information about value for sell or insurance. I hope somebody has some info for me.
    The 47 star flag is relatively scarce as antique American flags go, but not as "unique" as some would have you believe.

Flags with 38 stars, 44, 45, and 46 stars are much more common (which typically sell for less than $200 unless they have an interesting star pattern). 48 and 49 star flags are very common. The value of 47 star flags in the past on eBay ranges between $400 and $800 depending on who is bidding at the moment. Civil War era flags with 33 stars to 35 stars command higher prices than 47s because they are much more in demand from militaria collectors.

I paid less than $400 for this 47 star flag that sold on eBay last January:
    47 Stars American Flag 1912 - New Mexico | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

A few have sold over the years through Cowans auctions and winning bids ranged from about $400 to $1600.

An antique dealer could legitimately market this flag as a rare "unofficial" American flag and likely price it in the $1000 ot $1500 range, so in my opinion an "insurance value" or "replacement value" should be not more than about $2000.

Nick A
    Columbia Maryland

NAVA1974 is offline Senior Member
    Columbia Maryland, native to Massachusetts.

proy23 posted their 47-star flag for sale on eBay:
    "RARE" 47 Star American Flag | eBay
    In my experience, flags do not receive bids when the starting price is at the high end of their value range. Let's see how much activity this flag generates.
    Nick A

coasterville is offline Senior Member

I looked at that listing, if only because I hadn't really heard of the 47 star flag. The price is way too rich for my blood.

(Note: not to be taken as a slam on the seller, its just that my flag budget can't handle that kind of price, I may spend money on flags, but I a a "bang-for-your-buck" person.
    David Bowers
    coasterville.com/flags.html