I picked up a fan yesterday that is an accordian style fold up fan. It has two wooden handles that look to be hand-carved. The fan itself is made of ...
    kzacherl2000 is offline Junior Member

Question 9 and 10 star Flag Question

I picked up a fan yesterday that is an accordian style fold up fan. It has two wooden handles that look to be hand-carved. The fan itself is made of a hard cloth material. When you open the fan, the left side of the fan has a flag with 9 stars. There is a screened picture of a gentleman in the middle of the fan (similar to a dollar bill image), and the flag on the right side of the fan has 10 stars. I am not sure if it was a mistake to have one flag with 9 stars and one flag with 10 stars. Both flags have 13 stripes. Starting with red on top, and ending with red on the bottom. I was wondering if anyone could identify what year this may be from? I am wondering if it was some type of promotional item giveaway for some campaign (before there were buttons, and other promotional items to giveaway), but I am not sure at all. I have attached several pictures as well. Thank you for your time and consideration!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Peter Ansoff is offline USA Flag Site Admin

Default Re: 9 and 10 star Flag Question

Greetings, kzacherl2000!

Based on the portrait, which looks like Christopher Columbus, my first guess would be that your fan is a souvenier of the Columbian Exposition in Chicago in 1893. I don't think that the number of stars on the flags is especially significant. Folk art representations of the flag often have oddball numbers of stars and/or stripes.

We have several collectors here who are more knowledgeable than I am about this sort of thing -- I hope that one or more of them will chime in.

Best regards,

Peter Ansoff
    "We live by symbols, and what shall be symbolized by any image of the sight depends upon the mind of him who sees it."
    -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Peter, Thank you for your information. I do hope others do post their thoughts as well. Kim Z

NAVA1974 is offline Senior Member
    Columbia Maryland, native to Massachusetts.

Quote Originally Posted by kzacherl2000 View Post
    Peter, Thank you for your information. I do hope others do post their thoughts as well. Kim Z
    I agree with Peter about the age of your fan. I have an identical fan and a photo is posted on flickr.com
    Patriotic Fan - 1892 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Here are the photos of all my patriotic fans:
    Flag Fans - a set on Flickr

I also agree that the number of stars is of no consequence. The illustrations show 13-star flags with some of the stars hidden by Chris's portrait.

Nick A
    Columbia MD

Nick, I appreciate your quick response. How thoughtful of you to provide a link to yours as well. Thank you so much! Kim Z