Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Is it true that flying the american flag upside down is a type of... Originally Posted by Rdhdmom57 Is it true that flying the AMerican flag upside down is a ...
    EmailPoster is offline Junior Member

Default American Flag Upside Down

Is it true that flying the american flag upside down is a type of...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdhdmom57
    Is it true that flying the AMerican flag upside down is a type of SOS that
    those military are in need of help?

Betty Hall

ArmyWife Guest

Flying the American flag upside down is indeed a type of SOS signal. Section 8a of the United States Flag Code states, "The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property."

ArmyWife Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EmailPoster
    According to Section 8a of the United States Flag Code, "The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property."

jproffitt10 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EmailPoster
    Ms. Hall,

Flying the American flag upside down is traditionally considered a sign of distress, as it is with all national flags. The signal is one that was used primarily in past centuries (pre-1900s), on the high seas by military and merchant marine vessels alike. While the U.S. Flag Code does permit flying the flag with the union down, it specifies only "...as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property."

In recent times some have interpreted this in a much broader manner and have come to use it as a political statement, instead of a true S.O.S., which it was originally intended for.

Lucy is offline Junior Member

Yes. According to the US Flag Code, the US flag should only be flown upside down as a signal of distress when there is an extreme danger to life or property.

Lucy

Dibbis is offline Junior Member

Default Re: American Flag Upside Down

I believe starting today, November 5th. 2008, we can deem flying the flag upside down is most appropriate. A Nation in distress indeed with eminent danger to life and property!

Gatekeeper is offline Junior Member

I got to say the first thing I did was post the flag at my house today at 6:30 AM EST. I am a Vietnam, Cold War, and Peace time, Disabled American Veteran. When I posted my flag today the strips were on the top, we are in trouble. God Help the US

BOBFREY250 is offline Junior Member

Exclamation Re: American Flag Upside Down ala Obama

As a Proud American, and a Proud Vietnam Veteran, I was so pleased to see Senator Mc Cain campaign for the Presidency of the United States of America. However I would characterize my dilligent and persistant e-mail voter campaign as one that was AGAINST Hussein Obama, mainly on the grounds that he must be a foreigner and not entitled to serve by PROOF of his lack of respect for MY FLAG. How could anyone grow up in America and not understand our respect and love of "Old Glory"? The FLAG my buddies died for in The Republic of South Vietnam. The one under which my Uncles stormed Normandy's beaches. The one our fine young Americans serve under in the deserts of Iraq, and the mountains of Afghanistan.

In disgust and in PROTEST (I never got to protest before, I was too busy dealing with "Charlie" in the Southeast Asia War Games at the time [BTW we finished 2nd] ), I went out to my flag pole and turned my U. S. Flag UPSIDE DOWN!! A legal act and an act that no doubt, is being repeated across this nation today, November 5, 2008, the first day of the countdown to the end of this republic. I am aware that a person has the legal constitutional right even to burn the flag (I really wish they wouldn't in MY presence).

My flag flies in the center of a 5 foot square, 3 foot high marble and granite memorial which I built myself with my two hands and my own personal money, on my private property. I am awakened (after 2 days of no sleep making e-mailings against Obama) by my door bell only to find a man taking my flag down. He claimed to be a 23 year Navy Veteran and was righting my wrong, claiming I don't have the right, ( A VIETNAM VETERAN HAS NO RIGHT TO PROTEST???). A Navy veteran? Doesn't know or understand the legality? The symbolism? Claims he thought some vandals may have committed the act. Regardless who committed the act, climbing onto my monument on my property exposes me to liabilities if he had fallen or some how was injured or killed. In his anger. he snapped off the cleat for tying off the lanyard, so I will have to go to Home Depot and replace it. This is my third 20 foot aluminum flag pole. A drunk attempted to climb the first one. The second one was destroyed by vandals, now this. My life was so much simpler before I had a flag on my property.

The moral(s) of the story should be:
    1* IF YOU DON'T KNOW FLAG ETTIQETTE, LEARN IT BEFORE YOU PRESUME TO TEACH OTHERS,

2* IF YOU SEE SOMETHING YOU DON'T LIKE ON ANOTHER MAN'S PROPERTY, TALK TO HIM, DON'T GO CLIMBING UPON HIS PROPERTY AND TAKE ACTION WHETHER YOU ARE RIGHT OR WRONG.

3* IF YOU HAVE ISSUES WITH CONTROLLING YOUR ANGER, SEEK HELP AND LEARN SOME ANGER MANAGEMENT TECHNIQUES.

I suppose I'll have to erect a sign warning against attempting to deprive me of my right to free speech and expression. As this man said to me, "respect the flag, two wrongs don't make a right", to which I must add, "three wrongs ain't no righter". There are many things in this world I don't like, but I invoke the "Serenity Prayer" : "GOD GIVE ME THE STRENGTH TO CHANGE WHAT I CAN, THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THINGS I CAN'T AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE", because when it's another man's property there is a difference.

By The Way, He left still sure of his righteousness and sure that I have no right to do what I did. He WILL SEE THIS!

alvette is offline Junior Member

I just joined the forum and starting tomorrow our flag will be flow in distress.

Hey guys and gals

Please dont be too quick to fly your flags upside down!

For one thing , its still over 2 months before he is inagurated (sorry if i misspelled that)
    For another - we should keep the American flag flying high and proud

My flags are hung on the wall, the right way up, just like they were before the election.

I feel utterly disgusted that more than half the American public have elected a man into the Whitehouse that has shown in multiple ways that he is not loyal to America - one of which is his refusal to show outward patriotism by accepting the flag.
    I dont know at all what will happen to the USA as this man sits down behind the desk at the Oval Office- but one things for sure.. he will not stop me flying and waving my flag.
    I have loved the USA all my life.. and I love it as if it was my own. I will always fly the US flag (still working on getting an outdoor attachment for which to fly my US flag outdoors) and I will always fly it the right way up no matter what happens.

As a note to posters of this thread and forum...
    I am aware that tensions are running high at the moment thanks to the election.
    Usually we do not allow election /political related comment to show- because it is usually a recipe for disaster- but at this time I do believe that the comments being made are appropriate in order to give explanation or reason for wanting to fly the flag upside down or not.
    this thread is currently still more focused on the flag- as it should be - its a flag forum.

Please do not let this thread turn into a heated political debate or argument. To prevent that from happening all posts to this thread will be monitored by me.

American_flag_uk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast