Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Originally Posted by TomBrooklyn What materials were English and American bunting made from? Hi I am wandering what the very first American flag was made of. I would like to ...
    vcpiliponis is offline Junior Member

Default Re: American Flags Made From Hemp

Quote Originally Posted by TomBrooklyn View Post
    What materials were English and American bunting made from?

Hi I am wandering what the very first American flag was made of. I would like to start making the American flags myself. I have always heard for years that George Washingtons Wife made the first american flag out of hemp. Then I read on here that some lady named Betsy made it. I am so confused now after reading the posts on here. Do you have proof to back it up that the old flags you are viewing are not hemp fibers? They are wool?? I need to know the real and true history behind this if I am going to make an Americian flag how it used to be made originally. I also need to know the true history to share with people.

Thanks,

Vanessa

NAVA1974 is offline Senior Member
    Columbia Maryland, native to Massachusetts.

Quote Originally Posted by vcpiliponis View Post
    Hi I am wandering [sic] what the very first American flag was made of.
    Hello Vanessa,
    The absolute truth: We don't know
    The likely answer: wool bunting

Since there is no record of who really made the first USA flag of 13 stars and 13 stripes, or when or even where it was made, we don't really know anything absolutely about it. However, what we DO know is that nearly all flags were made of one of two materials: flags for use on ships were made of wool bunting (and until the 1860's, all wool bunting was imported from England.) Flags used by land forces were generally made of silk, and most often had hand-painted symbols on them. Since the 1777 resolution by Congress that established the Flag of the United States on 14 June was passed while they were considering Naval matters, it is very likely that the flag of 13 stars and 13 stripes was concieved as the national Ensign for use at sea. Therefore, I have to assume that the first USA flags of 13 stars and 13 stripes were made of English wool bunting. Furthermore, the US Army was not authorized to carry the stars and stripes into battle until the 1840's. Land forces used different flags, generally blue silk with the US Eagle and shield painted on them.

Regards,
    Nick A
    Columbia Maryland

csaanv is offline Senior Member

Hi Vanessa,
    Concerning the legend of Betsy Ross making the first flag you may find this link very informative:
    The Legend of Betsy Ross

Gaven32 is offline Junior Member

The Declaration of Independence was written on hemp paper too.Hemp products are not illegal. What is illegal is growing it. There are countries who export hemp products to the US and companies that sell them here.Hemp is a low grade material that is very different from the pot people smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaven32 View Post
    The Declaration of Independence was written on hemp paper too.
    Welcome to the USA Flag Forum, Gaven32.
    However your statement that the Declaration of Independence was written on hemp paper is an "urban legend" or myth. It is written on parchment, which is animal skin.
    Nick A
    Columbia Maryland

Gaven32 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by NAVA1974 View Post
    Welcome to the USA Flag Forum, Gaven32.
    However your statement that the Declaration of Independence was written on hemp paper is an "urban legend" or myth. It is written on parchment, which is animal skin.
    Nick A
    Columbia Maryland
    Ok thanks for correction Nick....

Quote Originally Posted by Gaven32 View Post
    Ok thanks for correction Nick....
    Apparently the DRAFT of the Declaration of Independence was written on paper made from plant fibers, but they haven't yet conducted a forensic analysis to determine exactly which plants were used in that paper production.

Nick A

burtiswalker is offline Junior Member

The first flag and all flags for many years were made from English bunting, a light weave of wool which would pick up the slightest breeze. Wool, not hemp! Those hemp revisionists have a political axe to grind!

AmericaHurrah is offline Member

Hemp may have been used in some hoist bindings, but not in the body of the flag.

Jacquepogo is offline Junior Member

If still looking I have one that I'm trying to get info on

Sincerely,

Jacqueline Anne Pogorzelski

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast