Your USA Flag Site; Display Indoors; From a Staff in a Church or Public Auditorium off the Podium is in disagreement with the United States Code Title 4 Chapter 1 ...
    DaveDuncan is offline Junior Member

Default Display Indors

Your USA Flag Site; Display Indoors; From a Staff in a Church or Public Auditorium off the Podium is in disagreement with the United States Code Title 4 Chapter 1 - The Flag.

The referenced chapter does not make an exception as to whether the US flag is displayed on the podium or off. Therefore the US flag should be at the right of the speaker and in advance of the audience on or off the podium.

It is also interesting that the US Army Regultion 840-10 2-4f takes that position and definately states "whether on the same floor level or a platform"

I would liketo hear from USA Flag Site Management's position on my comment.

Robin Hickman is offline Senior Member

Talking Re: Display Indors

Hi, DaveDuncan !

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site Forums !

Really? How interesting! How old is the edition of the "Flag Code" that you're referring to?

Thank You for bringing your Flag-related question to our Forums !

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA
    "All That Is Needed For Evil To Triumph Is For Good People To Stand By And Do Nothing"

Peter Ansoff is offline USA Flag Site Admin

Default Re: Display Indors

Hi, Dave, welcome to the forum!

Your USA Flag Site; Display Indoors; From a Staff in a Church or Public Auditorium off the Podium is in disagreement with the United States Code Title 4 Chapter 1 - The Flag.

Actually, that's not true. The information on the main USA Flag Site page says:

"The flag of the United States of America should hold the position of superior prominence, in advance of the audience, and in the position of honor at the clergyman's or speaker's right as he faces the audience [. . .]

Custom and not the flag code hold that the flag of the United States of America should hold the position of superior prominence as part of the audience, in the position of honor at the audience's right."

The first paragraph matches the language from the flag code that you cited. The second paragraph was put there (I think) to acknowledge the fact that the Flag Code was changed in 1976 -- it states clearly that it is based on "Custom and not the flag code." Before the change, the Flag Code made a distinction as to whether the flag was on or off the podium. There is a detailed discussion of the changes in this thread:

http://www.usa-flag-site.org/forum/flag-display-in-church-866-2.html (See especially my post of 5/5/09)

I would liketo hear from USA Flag Site Management's position on my comment.

I'm not sure that I count as "management" -- I'm just the Admin and I have no editorial control over the front page of the site. I hope that this answers the mail, however!

Peter Ansoff
    "We live by symbols, and what shall be symbolized by any image of the sight depends upon the mind of him who sees it."
    -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.