I'm a member of a municipal golf course. Arriving at the course on a very cloudy day (with rain forecasted) I noticed the flag was not flying from the pole ...
    hoffedge is offline Junior Member

Default Displaying Flag in Rain or Snow

I'm a member of a municipal golf course. Arriving at the course on a very cloudy day (with rain forecasted) I noticed the flag was not flying from the pole outside the clubhouse. I asked one of the staff "why not" and was told (verbatim quote): "I'm an ex-marine and in the Marines we don't fly the flag when it looks like rain." As a Vietnam army veteran I was appalled by his response. I know we flew the flag in all weather during my years in the service. Comments?

Robin Hickman is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Displaying Flag in Rain or Snow

Greetings, Hoffedge !

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site forums !

Hmmmm..... To Fly... or not to fly... THAT is the question !!!

Believe it or not, this question seems to keep popping up every once in a while. In fact, this is the second time it's shown up in the past week or so.

Here's a link to the first one from back on May 15th. There were a couple of replies. Hopefully, it will help settle the question in your mind. As far as flying the Flag when it's raining, to ME the "operative" term is the phrase, "Inclement Weather" and how you (or anyone else) may interpret it.

http://www.usa-flag-site.org/forum/fly-or-not-fly-when-raining-5589.html#post15467

Let us know what YOU think, okay ???

Thank You for bringing your question to our forums !!!

Robin Hickman
    "All That Is Needed For Evil To Triumph Is For Good People To Stand By And Do Nothing"

hoffedge is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the speedy response Robin. The link was very helpful and enlightening. In my particular case I think the most pertinent statement was: "If a certain Star-Spangled Banner was able to withstand a whole night of "rockets red glare and bombs bursting in air" back in September of 1814, then don't you think our modern day Flags can withstand a little rain from time to time ???"

I wonder what our troops in Irag or Afghanistan would say if we told them they could sleep in late and didn't have to man their posts if it were raining.

This is Memorial Day weekend; I intend to see that the course flies the flag at half staff 'till noon before raising it to full staff.

Thanks again for the input.

CR Hoffman

Robin Hickman is offline Senior Member

Howdy, CR Hoffman !

You are MORE than welcome! I'm glad that we could be of service to you!

The "In a nutshell" bit came to me as I was trying to wrap up my reply and, hopefully, put things into perspective.

If a certain Star-Spangled Banner was able to withstand a whole night of "rockets red glare and bombs bursting in air" back in September of 1814, then don't you think our modern day Flags can withstand a little rain from time to time ???

If there is ever any other Flag-related questions we can help you with, Y'all Come Back Now, Hear ???

Have a GREAT Memorial Day weekend !!!

Robin "Singin' In The Rain" Hickman

PS. Just remember to have them raise the Flag to the top of the flagpole FIRST and THEN lower it to half-staff in the morning.
    Last edited by Robin Hickman; 05-22-2009 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Added PS -- Flag Etiquette "Stuff"
    "All That Is Needed For Evil To Triumph Is For Good People To Stand By And Do Nothing"