I have played in several marching and concert bands and whenever we played the Star Spangled Banner, even in practice, we NEVER stopped. I was taught that it was disrespectful ...
    mcsoltis is offline Junior Member

Default Etiquette for playing/singing the Star Spangled Banner

I have played in several marching and concert bands and whenever we played the Star Spangled Banner, even in practice, we NEVER stopped. I was taught that it was disrespectful to end abruptly or not finish playing it in its entirety.

Lately I have noticed on more than one occasion where this has not been followed, particularily in marketing/advertising on television commercials. Are they being disrespectful or am I just old school?

NAVA1974 is offline Senior Member
    Columbia Maryland, native to Massachusetts.

Default Re: Etiquette for playing/singing the Star Spangled Banner

Hello mcsoltis, and welcome to the flag forum. There is nothing in the United States Flag Code regarding continuity of play of the Star Spangled Banner. That may be a musical tradition, but that is all. And advertisers violate rules and traditions with wild abandon all the time.
    Nick

Peter Ansoff is online now USA Flag Site Admin

There is a statement in Army regulations that sort of addresses this issue. When the US or another nation's national anthem is played as part of a ceremony, AR 600-12 says:

The U.S. and foreign national anthems will not be incorporated into any musical arrangement, composition, or medley and will be played through without repetition of any part except as required to make both words and music complete.

This regulation only applies to Army ceremonies, of course. As Nick points out, the US Code doesn't say anything about this.

Peter Ansoff
    "We live by symbols, and what shall be symbolized by any image of the sight depends upon the mind of him who sees it."
    -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

songster41@aol.com is offline Junior Member

Is one expected to put one's hand over his heart when the Star Spangled Banner is played?

Robin Hickman is offline Senior Member

For NON-Veteran "civilians", YES !!!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA
    "All That Is Needed For Evil To Triumph Is For Good People To Stand By And Do Nothing"

Robin Hickman is offline Senior Member

Just To Clarify :

United States Code Title 36

301. National Anthem
    1. Designation. The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
    2. Conduct During Playing During rendition of the national anthem
      1. when the flag is displayed
        1. individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
        2. members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
        3. all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
      2. when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

Hope that helps to clarify my earlier answer!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA
    "All That Is Needed For Evil To Triumph Is For Good People To Stand By And Do Nothing"

cleon is offline Junior Member

Is it acceptable to arrange a version of the anthem mixed or mashed up with America the Beautiful? I was thinking of keeping the melody in tact, but adding counter melodies and harmonies from the latter. This obviously wouldn't be for any sort military ceremony, but I was thinking for graduation ceremonies and collegiate level sporting events.

Peter Ansoff is online now USA Flag Site Admin

Welcome, Cleon!

Is it acceptable to arrange a version of the anthem mixed or mashed up with America the Beautiful? I was thinking of keeping the melody in tact, but adding counter melodies and harmonies from the latter.

Well, it sort of depends on what you mean by "acceptable." There's no legal reason why you can't use the SSB as part of a medley or whatever. However, many people feel that the SSB is special because of its unique status as the national anthem, and get very upset (and downright nasty) when it is performed in any non-standard way. That doesn't mean that it's never done, of course. Two examples that come to mind are the song "Cool, Cool Considerate Men" from the musical "1776", and one of the musical themes from the motion picture "Popeye."

I'd say go ahead and try it if you wish, but be prepared for some vocal complaints!

Best regards,

Peter Ansoff
    "We live by symbols, and what shall be symbolized by any image of the sight depends upon the mind of him who sees it."
    -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.