Does anyone know the proper etiquette for changing flag colors? Is it ok to change the colors so that they're no longer red white and blue?...
    mmozena is offline Junior Member

Default Flag Color

Does anyone know the proper etiquette for changing flag colors? Is it ok to change the colors so that they're no longer red white and blue?

NAVA1974 is offline Senior Member
    Columbia Maryland, native to Massachusetts.

Default Re: Flag Color

If you change the colors, then you no longer have a Flag of the United States, do you? You have 13 stripes and 50 stars, but unless the stars are white on blue, and the stripes are alternating red and white, you do not have a US flag.

Peter Ansoff is offline USA Flag Site Admin

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Does anyone know the proper etiquette for changing flag colors? Is it ok to change the colors so that they're no longer red white and blue?

Well, it kind of depends on what you mean. It's very common to see flags that are patterned after the US flag, but with different colors or designs. Often, they are used to promote particular political issues or social causes. For example, they will have stripes of different colors, or symbols such as dollar signs or peace symbols in place of the stars.

There's nothing wrong with making or using such flags. However, they are not, strictly speaking, flags of the United States. The US flag is defined by law (4 USC ch. 1) as having thirteen horizontal red-and white stipes and white stars in a blue union. Flags with different colors or designs are similar to US flags (which is often what gives them their symbolic power), but they are not US flags.

I hope that answers your question. Again, welcome aboard!

Peter Ansoff

coasterville is offline Senior Member

Here is an example of what I think you are talking about - a few seasons ago Xavier University sold this flag which is clearly based on the US Flag. I realize its not a US Flag, but I caught some grief for flying this one, claiming its a disrespectful mockery. .

So - in short go ahead and make a flag out of any colors you want, just be clear that it won't be the flag, but it will be a flag.