When it comes to the flag it means more to me than words can describe,... Originally Posted by store2631 When it comes to the flag it means more to me ...
    EmailPoster is offline Junior Member

Default Flag Means More Than Words Can Describe

When it comes to the flag it means more to me than words can describe,...
    Quote Originally Posted by store2631
    When it comes to the flag it means more to me than words can
    describe, I take the time to make sure my children understand the flag and
    what it represents.
    It really bothers me to see people displaying the flag incorrectly.
    I would like to be proactive about this issue.
    Can the flag be hung vertically? and if so does the union always face to the
    left?

ConciseGem Guest

Talking

When the flag is displayed over a street, it should be hung vertically, with the union to the north or east. If the flag is suspended over a sidewalk, the flag's union should be farthest from the building.

When displaying the flag against a wall, vertically or horizontally, the flag's union (stars) should be at the top, to the flag's own right, and to the observer's left.

Common sense..

amelie Guest

hello! i am sorry but i am not sure that my message have any meaning with this subject but i am a fifteen year old french girl and since i was very young i am very interested in the USA!This country is so wonderful!My english is not perfect but i would like telling you that your site is very very nice!In France, it would not exist a website such as this.Well done!Bravo!Here, patriotism don't exist any more.that drives me sad! My country is good too..!does anybody know why americans are so proud of their flag or their country?it is very well!I would like doing a website such as this about patriotism in France but people would insult me and would say i am racist.For some people loving her country means hating by example imigrants.
    I hope you will understand what i mean.
    So,continue your website on the road of the patriotism!

dann1792001USA Guest

Default Re: Flag Means More Than Words Can Describe

Quote Originally Posted by EmailPoster View Post
    When it comes to the flag it means more to me than words can describe,...

Ok This is realy important to me! I absolutly Love the American flag. Ive Looked for HOURS and i cannot find ANYWARE that explanes the meaning of flag retirement! there are a ton of sites that explane ceremonies but it dosent say why you burn it. the reasion i want to know is becuase my town is trying to hold a ceremony and i am involved and i Have to do it respectivly!!! some one help if you know........ THANK YOU dan.

Peter Ansoff is offline USA Flag Site Admin

Default Re: Flag Means More Than Words Can Describe

dann1792001USA: i cannot find ANYWARE that explanes the meaning of flag retirement!

Hi, Dan, welcome to the board.

The flag code, para 8k says: "The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning."

There is no mysterious "meaning" about this. The flag is a symbol of our country, and we don't want it to be seen in a condition or setting (such as thrown in a dumpster) that would imply disrespect. If burning is not feasible (for example, it might be dangerous to burn some synthetic fabrics), alternatives might be burying it, or disposing of it in a sealed, opaque box or bag. We treat the flag with respect and dignity because of what it stands for, not because it is some kind of holy relic.

Good luck with your town ceremony. Let us know how it goes!

Best regards,

Peter Ansoff