Hello everyone. I am looking for someone to clarify an issue between my significant other and myself. His 25 years in the US Navy tell him that we can fly ...
    LBSailor is offline Junior Member

Default fly or not to fly when raining?

Hello everyone. I am looking for someone to clarify an issue between my significant other and myself. His 25 years in the US Navy tell him that we can fly our American flag on our frontyard flagpole regardless of whether it is raining or not. My 8 years in the US Navy and daughter of a US Navy Boatswain Mate tell me not to fly the flag when it is raining. A sprinkle is ok, but take it down when its raining. Don't let the flag get wet.

I've also read not to fly in inclement weather, but I think there might be a difference between US Flag Code and US Navy Regulations.

What say ye?

Robin Hickman is online now Senior Member

Default Re: fly or not to fly when raining?

Ahoy, there, LBSailor !

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site forums !

I think when the Flag Code uses the term, "inclement weather", it means weather that is severe enough to cause HARM to the Flag. And in that case, it just might be a case of what someone's "opinion" of exactly what "inclement weather" is.

I don't think a "little" (or even a "lot") rain would cause your Flag all that much harm, do you?

When I think of "inclement weather", I'm thinking hurricanes, tornados, ice storms, heavy snow (and a lot of it!), sleet, freezing rain, high winds, etc. You know, the type of weather that is "bad" enough that it is MORE than likely to "harm" a Flag.

So, I guess it kind of boils down as to what type of weather you and your husband would each consider to be "inclement weather".

I'm a U.S. Navy Veteran myself (Vietnam War), so I kind of know where you're coming from. While I don't have a nice tall flagpole out in front of my house, I do fly my American Flag out front, and on occasion (like today), I'll fly my State of Oregon Flag too!

TODAY I'm flying BOTH of my Flags to commemorate ARMED FORCES DAY !!!

SEE ???

ArmedForcesDay-20090516-400x300.JPG

In a nutshell.....

If a certain Star-Spangled Banner was able to withstand a whole night of "rockets red glare and bombs bursting in air" back in September of 1814, then don't you think our modern day Flags can withstand a little rain from time to time ???

Fair Winds & Following Seas,

Robin Hickman, ETRSN
    USS Orleck (DD-886) "The Gray Ghost Of The Vietnam Coast"

http://www.ussorleck.org/
    "All That Is Needed For Evil To Triumph Is For Good People To Stand By And Do Nothing"

NAVA1974 is offline Senior Member
    Columbia Maryland, native to Massachusetts.

You don't need to consult regulations or the flag code. Even if your flag is constructed from "all weather materials" it is disrespectful to leave the flag out in inclement weather. It subjects your flag to excessive stress as the weight of the water put in motion by high winds will destroy the flag. That is no way to show respect for your flag or country. Any changes to codes or regs to recognize the practice of 24-7 flag flying are a recognition of the general demise of respect in the country.

LBSailor is offline Junior Member

Thank you gents. I guess it all comes down to respect. My other half's story of being on watch in Guam with a typhoon coming in answers the question too. They kept looking through the binoculars from their ship at pier to the flag on base. The winds were roaring but old glory was still soaring. Finally, at the height of the storm it looked like it was going to be blown away, and it was lowered. Then and only then did they lower theirs on the ship. Raised again as soon as storm passed.

She can handle much, but sometimes she has to take cover, only to emerge again victorious.