Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Mimi, have you approached your neighbors and asked them if they have converted to Christianity upon entering our country? That should always be your first step when welcoming foreign people ...
    REDefiant is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Flying Another Country's Flag in USA

Mimi, have you approached your neighbors and asked them if they have converted to Christianity upon entering our country? That should always be your first step when welcoming foreign people to your community. Also, it is also common courtesy to show them how to order a pizza.
    The American Flag of America is the epitome of all things that are awesome.

Flaguser is offline Junior Member

have you approached your neighbors and asked them if they have converted to Christianity upon entering our country? That should always be your first step when welcoming foreign people to your community. Also, it is also common courtesy to show them how to order a pizza.

Absolutely right, but it must be a *pepperoni and anchovies* pizza! Anything else would be blasphemous and un-American.

coasterville is offline Senior Member

Remember, one of the great things about the USA, is that we CAN fly the flags of other nations. Of course if you choose to do so it may influence what your neighbors or anyone else who passes by your house thinks about you.

We just passed a prime example of this in St. Patricks Day, in my neighborhood it is not uncommon for people to fly the Irish flag on St. Patricks Day. Some people fly the Irish flag for the entire month, either in addition to or in place of their regular flag display, if they have one.

I just went to Ireland this past September and decided to join in the celebration this year, of special note the Irish flag pictured below was purchased in Ireland:

In my case I only did it for one day and flew it in place of my regular flag, but on a different pole that does not have an eagle on top.

During Oktoberfest I may fly my Bavarian flag.

In other words, I personally don't see anything wrong with flying whatever flag you want. It may help shape my opinion of you, but its fine by me.

doingbadthings666 is offline Junior Member

to be completely honest no one should ever fly another country's flag in america with not flying america's flag along with it. its majorly disrespectful. I understand that not every one has two flag poles well here's a way to solve that problem...fly the us flag above the other flag. you are in america and should show the pride and respect that being an american means. i do not tolerate people flying their country's flag by it self to the point i will remove it. I know im not alone on this. Please do that right thing and be american. be proud to be apart of a country that has so many nationalities working together. thats it for now.

Peter Ansoff is offline USA Flag Site Admin

Hi, dbt,

no one should ever fly another country's flag in america with not flying america's flag along with it. its majorly disrespectful.

Why? What's wrong with a friendly recognition of another country's holiday, for example? I do it all the time.

here's a way to solve that problem...fly the us flag above the other flag. you are in america and should show the pride and respect that being an american means

Actually, this is not correct. The US flag code, US military regulations and international custom all say that national flags should be at the same height when they're displayed together.

i do not tolerate people flying their country's flag by it self to the point i will remove it.

Well, I'm glad that you don't live near me, because I'd hate to have to have you arrested for trespassing and theft!

Peter Ansoff
    "We live by symbols, and what shall be symbolized by any image of the sight depends upon the mind of him who sees it."
    -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Joe7000 is offline Junior Member

This may be my only question due to the fact that I had to register in order to ask it.

I am a Korean war veteran and I take our American flag very seriously. I live in a retirement community and recently a new neighbor moved in across the street from my house. I was about to introduce myself to my new neighbor but then I blinked my eyes at what I saw on a flagpole in his front yard. At first I couldn't believe my eyes. There was a Canadian flag APPENDED to a United States flag. It was one flag on one flagpole, with two countries depicted on the flag. In other words, the Canadian flag was a continuation of our American flag. Doing some research I found these monstrosities can easily be purchased from numerous stores here in the US. To me, this is a desecration of the American flag. I don't care if my new neighbor wants to fly a Canadian flag in his front yard. He can fly a North Korean or Russian flag if he so chooses. It is NOT acceptable to me for him to fly an American flag with another country's flag appended to it.

My question is this: Is it Constitutionally legal for a private home owner to fly an American flag with a Canadian flag appended to it?

Thanks, and I await some sort of lucid answer.

APS221 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joe7000 View Post
    My question is this: Is it Constitutionally legal for a private home owner to fly an American flag with a Canadian flag appended to it?
    Yes. Flying an American flag with a Canadian flag appended to it is considered speech or expression, and therefore protected by the Constitution's First Amendment.

NAVA1974 is offline Senior Member
    Columbia Maryland, native to Massachusetts.

Another way to look at it: your neighbor is not flying the Flag of the United States. He is flying an "Ameri-Can" flag. His flag clearly does not meet specifications for the flag of the USA. Therefore, he is not defacing the American flag. I presume this is what his flag looks like?

AmeriCan flag.jpg

Yes, this is nit-picking. But that is what many of these issues come down to. I think it is fair to note that what the observer sees is not always what the owner intends.

However, it does bring up another Constitutional issue. On the same flagpole, it is against International Law to fly one nation's flag above another except as a sign of victory in battle. Yet we occasionally see well-intentioned people fly the Canadian flag under the US flag on the same pole. Would this be protected speech under the US Constitution if a Canadian objected to it?
    Nick A
    Columbia Maryalnd

Quote Originally Posted by APS221 View Post
    Yes. Flying an American flag with a Canadian flag appended to it is considered speech or expression, and therefore protected by the Constitution's First Amendment.
    I hope this is just your opinion. Otherwise, I suppose I can expect to see in the future, an American flag, flying with a swastika appended to it. And below that perhaps a North Korean flag appended to the swastika. And perhaps a Chinese communist flag appended to that, and so on... Maybe all of these flags can be adorned with a beautiful gold fringe. Please don't be offended with my sarcasm ~ I'm just using my right of free speech to make a point, don't you know? Or will this message be deleted because it is more distasteful than the prospect of a flag of any other country "tastefully" appended to the flag of the United States of America?

Certainly, I'm not nit-picking. I spilled some blood defending our flag and our Constitution for which it stands and I resent any defacement of it whatsoever. I'm assuming you are an advocate of dual citizenship. Whether you are or not let me pose this question for those who are advocates: If the United States were to go to war against Canada will my neighbor kill me or share his ammunition with me?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast