I had attended the burial of a veteran and was impressed with the folding of the American flag by the color guard. I was wondering what the solider said to ...
    ricco is offline Junior Member

Default Folding of the flag at a funeral

I had attended the burial of a veteran and was impressed with the folding of the American flag by the color guard. I was wondering what the solider said to the surviving member receiving the flag and what was the orgin of folding the flag so slow and deliberate.

Peter Ansoff is offline USA Flag Site Admin

Default Re: Folding of the flag at a funeral

Hi, Ricco - welcome!

I was wondering what the solider said to the surviving member receiving the flag

Each of the military services has its own regulations for this, so it would depend on which one was conducting the ceremony. For example, the Army's FM 3-21.5 says

Upon presentation [of the folded flag], the CAO renders appropriate remarks such as, “As a representative of the United States Army, it is my high privilege to present to you this flag. Let it be a symbol of the grateful appreciation our nation feels for the distinguished service rendered to our country and our flag by your loved one.”

The origins of the flag-folding method are a bit of a mystery. My best guess is that the "tricorn" method was originally created as a practical way that a small number of soldiers could fold a large flag while keeping it clear of the ground.

Best,

Peter Ansoff