Hi! I'm a Norwegian living temporarily in the US. I'm just wondering if it is inappropriate for foreigners to display the American flag? A wall flag for example. Thanks Norwegian ...
    norwegian is offline Junior Member

Default Foreigner displaying US flag

Hi!

I'm a Norwegian living temporarily in the US. I'm just wondering if it is inappropriate for foreigners to display the American flag? A wall flag for example.

Thanks

Norwegian Guy

Robin Hickman is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Foreigner displaying US flag

GREETINGS, Norwegian Guy !!!

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site !

QUOTE : "I'm a Norwegian living temporarily in the US. I'm just wondering if it is inappropriate for foreigners to display the American flag? A wall flag for example."

No, it is NOT inappropriate for foreigners to display the American Flag. In other words, YES, it's perfectly "OK" for foreigners to display the American Flag! Go right ahead and fly our flag!

All we ASK, is that when foreigners (such as yourself) who are living in our country (short or long term) who choose to display the American Flag, do so with respect and in a responsible way. Usually, the best way to do that is to follow the "Flag Code".

If you don't know what the "Flag Code" is, then THIS is where you jump in and ASK the questions : "Flag Code? What the heck is a Flag Code? Where do I find the Flag Code? How do I follow the Flag Code? Will I be arrested if I don't follow the Flag Code?"

(Just kidding about that last one!)

Anyway, welcome to the United States! I hope you'll share a lot with us and learn a little something that you can share with others when you return to your home.

NOTE To other forum members : WHEN Norwegian Guy asks about the "Flag Code", do what you always do and give him good information. Thanx!

Robin Hickman
    "All That Is Needed For Evil To Triumph Is For Good People To Stand By And Do Nothing"

NAVA1974 is offline Senior Member
    Columbia Maryland, native to Massachusetts.

Default Re: Foreigner displaying US flag

"Flag Code? What the heck is a Flag Code? Where do I find the Flag Code? How do I follow the Flag Code? Will I be arrested if I don't follow the Flag Code?"

"Flag Code? What the heck is a Flag Code? The United States Flag Code is a set of instructions on how to display the flag of the United States of America with respect.

Where do I find the Flag Code? Try Flag Code

How do I follow the Flag Code? Have someone hold the Flag Code in front of you as you walk behind them.

Will I be arrested if I don't follow the Flag Code?"
    The Code is part of the United States Code of Federal Regulations, but there are no penalties associated with violating the Flag Code. Most states have adopted parts of the flag code as state law but if you are arrested for violating one of those provisions, just get the American Civil Liberties Union to represent you and the case will be dismissed, or you will be acquitted for expressing your first amendment right to free speech. And this applies to Norwegians visiting the US as well, and its a good way to meet other elements of American society while you are in jail.

Nick