How long does a flag stay at Half Mass after going up? I ask this because I am in A JROTC program and no one seems to be able to ...
    CrystalRose18 Guest

Default Half Staff

How long does a flag stay at Half Mass after going up? I ask this because I am in A JROTC program and no one seems to be able to answer my question, not even my Major. Please help.

Default Re: Half Staff

well it depends upon the occasion and date

it can be ordered at half staff either by the president for national remembrance, or the governor of a state or territory, for local remembrance, in the event of a death of a member or former member of the federal, state or territorial government or judiciary. The heads of departments and agencies of the federal government may also order that the flag be flown at half staff on buildings, grounds and naval vessels under their jurisdiction.

on memorial day the flag should be flown at half staff from sunrise until noon only, then put to the top of the pole until sunset

if a president (of the US) past or present dies the flag flies half staff for 30 days
    It flies 10 days at half staff after the death of the vice president, the chief justice or a retired chief justice of the US supreme court, or the speaker of the house of representatives
    for an associate justice of the supreme court, a member of the cabinet, a former vice president, the president pro tempore of the senate, the majority leader of the senate, the minority leader of the senate, the majority leader of the house of representatives, or the minority leader of the house of representatives the flag is to be displayed at half staff from the day of death until iburial.
    The flag is to be flown at half staff at all federal buildings, grounds and naval vessels in the washington, D.C area on the day and day after the death of a senator, representative, territorial delegate, or the resident commissioner from puerto rico. it should also be flown at half staff on all federal facilities in the state, congressional district, territory, or commonwealth of these officials

upon the death of the governor of a state, territory or possession, the flag should be flown at half staff on all federal facilities in that governor’s state, territory or possession from the day of death until iburial.
    the president may order the flag to be flown at half staff to mark the death of other officials, former officials, or foreign dignitaries. in addition to these occasions, the president may order half staff display of the flag after other tragic events.
    the flag should be briskly run up to the top of the pole before being lowered slowly to the half staff position.

i hope this helps you

CrystalRose18 Guest

Thanks so much that helped so very much. I will have to tell my major lol.

Peter Ansoff is offline USA Flag Site Admin

Hi, Crystal,

If your major wants to know where the information came from, it's in paragraph 7m of the Flag Code, which you can find here:

US CODE: Title 4,7. Position and manner of display

Best,

Peter Ansoff

1172 Guest

So who has the authority to order a flag to half staff after a local tragic event? Like those 9 firefighters killed in SC, are they considered government officials? Can the governer or mayor make the call or does it have to come from the president?

crispov is offline Junior Member

Greetings,

I have a dilema. We live in a golf community in which a resident has passed away. I got up this morning to find that the US Flag is flying at half Staff. whne I asked why, they said it was in respect for the community member. I told them it was wrong, they can not do this just for a guy in our neighborhood.

when i started to tell them about the correct rules they told me i was crazy. Is there a fine for flying the flag at half staff with out the appropriate direction from the President or Local/State government?

thanks,

Christopher

as far as i know -there is no fines or prosecution for somebody who flies their flag at half staff for such an occasion

my own opinion- if the deceased was a well known/well respected well loved person wthin the community i see no harm in them flying the flag at half staff for a day in their honor- just as long as its not longer than one day - and a one off - my thoughts anyway

ekal is offline Junior Member

I think the simple answer is that outside of the military there is no protocol for when a flag should be at half-mast and when it shouldn't:

A quick check of today’s news reveals a police officer in California, an Iowa State Representative, an army corporal in Michigan, community activist in Delaware.
    Yard Flags » Why Do We Fly Flags at Half-Mast?