My company has acquired an American Flag, all the Armed forces flags, our state flag and our company flag and we'd like to display them in the atrium space above ...
    ScottVA is offline Junior Member

Default Hanging flags

My company has acquired an American Flag, all the Armed forces flags, our state flag and our company flag and we'd like to display them in the atrium space above our lobby. The will be on staffs and mounted to the wall using the 45deg/90deg mounts.

I understand there is an order to display these flags. But how about if they are arrange an a sort of circle (around a square lobby)? My feeling is that the US flag will be mounted on a slightly higher plane than the rest of them (roughly by a foot) and centered on the opposing wall from the entrance of the lobby. I have 8 flags in total and I was thinking of having the State Flag to the right (as viewed) of the US flag. Then, continuing to the right around the circle, Army, Marine, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, then our company flag. However, with keeping things symmetrical, the company flag will end up on the same wall, in a lower plane and to the right of the US flag.

Will this order be correct or pose a problem as far as precedence or order?

Thank you,
    ScottVA

Robin Hickman is offline Senior Member

Talking Re: Hanging flags

Hello, ScottVA !

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site Forums !

I'm not sure how the "circle of Flags" around the inside of your building's atrium should be laid out, but I assume that however it's done it would be based on the "in-line, same level" model.

As you probably already know, when all the flags are on the SAME level the United States Flag takes precedence (highest honor) by being farthest to its own right, which would appear to the viewer/viewers to be to the farthest left; OR uppermost when shown/flown with other NON-national flags.

As near as I can tell for the flags that you've mentioned the "precedence" should be as follows - assuming all at the same level - National Flag, State flag, miltary branch flags in order of their "creation", and your company's flag :

1. United States Flag
    2. State Flag (Virginia?)
    3. U.S. Army
    4. U.S. Marine Corps
    5. U.S. Navy
    6. U.S. Air Force
    7. U.S. Coast Guard
    8. "Company" Flag

I'm pretty sure that if you mount the U.S. Flag's pole noticeably higher than the others, they would still follow the same order of precedence, but the U.S. Flag should be in the "center" of the array.

This is how I THINK it would work with the atrium space above the four walls of your "square" lobby.

As the "viewers" enter through the MAIN entrance the two flags they would see on the far wall (opposite the main entrance) would be the U.S. Flag on the (viewers') left and your State's flag on the right.

On the wall to their immediate right (clockwise) would be the Army flag (left-side) and the U.S.M.C. flag (right-side).

Another quarter turn to their right (clockwise) they would be facing the wall where the main entrance is located and the flag on the left-side of the wall would be the Navy flag and the U.S.A.F. flag on the right.

Another quarter turn to their right they would be facing the fourth and final lobby wall, which was originally on their left when they entered through the main entrance. The last two flags would be the Coast Guard flag on the left-side and, finally, your company's flag on the right.

Right now I'm hoping for TWO things : ONE, I'm right about how the flags should be hung, and TWO, I haven't confused you too much!

If it's unclear, let's try using analogy of the four cardinal points of the compass to name the four walls: (clockwise) North, East, South, and West. Since I don't know how your lobby is oriented, I'm just using this as just an example

For the purposes of our EXAMPLE, the MAIN Entrance is located in the SOUTH wall (very important!).

NORTH Wall : U.S. Flag (left) & STATE flag (right).
    EAST Wall : ARMY flag & USMC flag.
    SOUTH Wall : NAVY flag & AIR FORCE flag.
    WEST Wall : COAST GUARD flag & COMPANY flag.

Just a thought : It's too bad your company can't buy a great BIG, oversized American Flag and SUSPEND it directly over the center of the lobby. Then all the other flags would move counter-clockwise (left) one space. Then you could add one more flag to "fill" the empty slot: POW*MIA flag!

If you do that, which way should the Flag be pointed? The answer can be found in the "U.S. Flag Code".

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

United States Code Title 4 Chapter 1 The Flag

7. Position and manner of display

o. When the flag is suspended across a corridor or lobby in a building with only one main entrance, it should be suspended vertically with the union of the flag to the observer's left upon entering. If the building has more than one main entrance, the flag should be suspended vertically near the center of the corridor or lobby with the union to the north, when entrances are to the east and west or to the east when entrances are to the north and south. If there are entrances in more than two directions, the union should be to the east.

I sure hope some of our real experts can weigh in on this subject and offer us the benefit of their expertese!

Thank you, ScottVA, for bringing your Flag-related question to our Forums !!!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA
    Last edited by Robin Hickman; 12-02-2010 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Add Link & Quote.
    "All That Is Needed For Evil To Triumph Is For Good People To Stand By And Do Nothing"

ScottVA is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Hanging flags

Robin, Thank you for your reply. I understand what you said. I think that will help us to place these flags properly.

ScottVA