When you get a new flag, it is creased from being folded. With nylon flags, I just put it on the pole the night before. In the morning it gets ...
    wild-bill is offline Member

Default How do you get creases out of flags?

When you get a new flag, it is creased from being folded. With nylon flags, I just put it on the pole the night before. In the morning it gets wet with dew and a breeze gets the creases out. But it doesn't work with lightweight polyester flags. I have been ironing them with a steam iron. Is there a better way to straighten out poly flags?

Robin Hickman is offline Senior Member

Exclamation Re: How do you get creases out of flags?

Hi, Wild-Bill !!!

Speaking from over two decades of "hands-on" experience with light-weight printed polyester Flags, I can give you the following non-binding advice which, with patience and persistence, will get your Flags into a relatively wrinkle and fold free state.

1. When your Flags are brand new out-of-the-box (or plastic bag), GENTLY wash them in COLD water (or any temperature you choose) using a minimum of detergent. This will wash out the "sizing" used in the Flags' manufacture.

2. Hang dry them (unfolded) on (or over) a taut line. OR dry them on an absorbant cotton towel placed on a FLAT surface.

3. NOW that you've removed the Flags fabric's sizing and got them to "relax" a little, you can steam iron them yourself or take them to a professional laundry or cleaners and have them iron them using one of their great, big, industrial strength, steam irons!

4. Store your Flags in an UN-folded condition. Even if you can't get ALL of the folds out, your Flags will have a chance to "relax", AND.... you won't be putting any new folds or wrinkles into them.

5. FLY your Flags!

If you've already tried ironing out a Flag's folds WITHOUT washing out the fabric's "sizing", then you're going to need to be VERY patient and VERY persistent. Why? Because the high heat from your ironing may have "set" the still "sized" folds. While a few "gentle" washing MAY help, lightweight Flags can stand only so many washings.

While I'm not an advocate of using a clothes dryer to dry wet Flags, I have heard a few people who insist that it's okay, but only if you do it with a minimum of heat.

Even if you're never quite able to get rid of all of a Flag's fold marks, think about this: Lightweight polyester Flags "fly" very easily and if you're flying them and the wind is blowing at only 5-10 MPH, the Flags will be almost straight out and (most importantly) NOBODY will see the fold marks!!!

So, there you have it. My advice on how to get "folds" out of your lightweight polyester Flags. Like I said at the beginning, the advice is NON-binding!

GOOD LUCK with doing whatever it is you choose to do !!!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA
    "All That Is Needed For Evil To Triumph Is For Good People To Stand By And Do Nothing"

wild-bill is offline Member

Default Re: How do you get creases out of flags?

Thanks for the tips Robin. I washed my new Florida flag yesterday and am storing it unfolded. It's better, but still needs to be steam ironed or flown.

Robin Hickman is offline Senior Member

Thumbs up Re: How do you get creases out of flags?

Hey, Wild-Bill !

Like I said in my previous entry, it's going to take "patience & persistence". Some lightweight poly flags will "un-crease" fairly easily( ) but some of them will take a little while longer ( ), and some of them will be down-right stubborn ( ) !!!

Good Luck !!!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA
    "All That Is Needed For Evil To Triumph Is For Good People To Stand By And Do Nothing"