bradntamflag is offline Junior Member

Default Misuse of Flag in advertising

Hello, I was out shopping with my family yesterday when I noticed that the store we were in (which will remain un-named at this time) had multiple temporary / disposable cardboard displays which clearly have portions of our nation’s flag printed on them. Although I can appreciate the "patriotic theme" they are trying to portray (especially around July 4th), I feel that this should not be allowed as it is (perhaps not intentionally) showing disrespect to our flag as the flag is being used in advertising and it will be discarded like any other piece of garbage when they are done with it. Before I go ahead and bring this concern to the store manager’s attention I wanted to get feedback that I indeed have the right to make a complaint.
    From what I have read; Title 36, Chapter 10, 176 (i) states: “The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard……...”
    Any and all comments / discussions welcomed.
    Thank You

Robin Hickman is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Misuse of Flag in advertising

Hello, Bradntamflag !

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site forums !

We've been having a very lively discussion about the very same thing over in a thread that can be found HERE :
    http://www.usa-flag-site.org/forum/proper-american-flag-display-print-advertising-2565.html

Some of the uses of the American flag in "advertising" can be VERY "uncomfortable" for some, including ME !!!

Thank you for bringing your Flag-related question to our Forums !

Robin Hickman
    "All That Is Needed For Evil To Triumph Is For Good People To Stand By And Do Nothing"