Can you tell me the rules/law concerning flying the flag at night? Originally Posted by t2hisheart Hi, My son is working on his Eagle Scout project which includes installing a ...
    EmailPoster is offline Junior Member

Default Night display

Can you tell me the rules/law concerning flying the flag at night?
    Quote Originally Posted by t2hisheart
    Hi,
    My son is working on his Eagle Scout project which includes installing a flag pole.
    Can you tell me the rules/law concerning flying the flag at night? We want to do
    the proper thing, and need to know before we start for the electrician.

Thank you,
    T Thomas
    Last edited by T2DMan; 06-06-2006 at 01:50 AM.

jproffitt10 Guest

T. Thomas,

Thanks for asking. The rules concerning displaying the flag at night are listed in Section 2(a) of the United States Flag Code, and are as follows:

6. Time and occasions for display
    It is the universal custom to display the flag only from sunrise to sunset on buildings and on stationary flagstaffs in the open. However, when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed twenty-four hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness.

Generally, a single floodlight will do just fine. There is no need to spend a fortune on a commercial 1000 watt gig. It's the principle--that light is always shining on our national symbol.

I hope this answers your question and feel free to contat us again. Tell your son good luck with his Eagle project.