I was wondering if someone can tell me what the regulation is for a U.S. Post Office not flying or dislpaying a U.S. flag. The Marlboro, NY p.o. flag pole ...
    spellgirl1027 is offline Junior Member

Question Post Office not flying U.S. Flag

I was wondering if someone can tell me what the regulation is for a U.S. Post Office not flying or dislpaying a U.S. flag. The Marlboro, NY p.o. flag pole broke in early June, 2010, and to this date has not been replaced, or has no flag flying or even temporarily displayed in window. Post Master said she put in a work order for landlord to replace pole, but he isnt doing it, saying it is federal business, they have to do it. Stalemate for over 2 months. Postmaster obviously doesnt take pride in her small post office, otherwise she'd have had volunteers put a new one up. Any advice? USPS customer service didnt know answer.

csaanv is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Post Office not flying U.S. Flag

Call your senator and representative.

Thank you, I will do that now.

Robin Hickman is offline Senior Member

Greetings, SpellGirl1027 !

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site Forums !

Hmmmm.....

I don't know what ALL of the considerations might be in a case like this. Probably nobody else does, either.

Are there unknown landlord-tenant issues or contractural clases? What about "Insurance" (business, property, renters, etc.)? Are there some kind of budgetary constraints?

Call your Congressional Represntative or Senator? NO! Not yet! Not until you get "all the facts".

Start small..... THEN..... Escalate and work your way up!

When there are situations that require a little detective work and a little diplomacy, try that first. Get the facts and use them to try to work things out. Sometimes "outside" resources might be needed.....

For example : Have you ever considered your local/regional media???

NOT that you should go to them first, mind you. But ask the "Landlord" and the "Post Master/Mistress" if they can IMAGINE what would happen if the local TV & Radio stations and newspapers got a hold of this story? That MIGHT encourage them to come to some kind of quick agreement and FIX then situation.

IF it doesn't, THEN send out the news releases and make your "follow-up" phone calls! Just be sure that you've done your "homework" BEFORE you contact the press!!!

IF, after trying all of the possible "local" solutions, nothing seems to be working, THEN call your Representative and/or Senator !!!

Hope that helps !

Thank you for bringing your Flag-related question to our Forums !!!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA
    "All That Is Needed For Evil To Triumph Is For Good People To Stand By And Do Nothing"

I forgot to mention (Sorry!) that since this case involves a U.S. Post Office, you might consider contacting the U.S. Postmaster General's Office to let them know what's going on there in Marlboro, NY.

http://www.usps.com/communications/newsroom/pmg.htm

(Not the GREATEST link, but you've got to start somewhere, right?)

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA
    "All That Is Needed For Evil To Triumph Is For Good People To Stand By And Do Nothing"

http://www.MarlboroughNY.com/

Might be an interesting place to start, eh ???

Robin

coasterville is offline Senior Member

Our post office had been using a short wall mounted pole, like you would use on your house for years. They just upgraded to an inground pole within the past year.

I'm not sure if they are required to have the flag or not, but I'd agree it does seem out of place for a government office/service not to have it.

One more post office related anecdote - I remember when my grandparents lived in a Florida retirement mobile home park, the landlord would get the mail for the entire park first thing in the morning, sort it out, and then raised the flag in front of the administration building. When you saw the flag go up, you knew it was time to come get your mail.
    David Bowers
    coasterville.com/flags.html

NAVA1974 is offline Senior Member
    Columbia Maryland, native to Massachusetts.

Quote Originally Posted by coasterville View Post
    When you saw the flag go up, you knew it was time to come get your mail.
    That may very well be one of the reasons for the origin of the Stars and Strips - as a signal.

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. I did contact the Town of Marlboro Supervisor, but had to leave a message with his secretary. He did not return my call. I will follow up with that tomorrow. The secretary was nice enough to say that she did not think it was "town business" which I take to fuel the "fire". It is a small town, of which it is easy to take pride in and show. I did call the legislator and they assured me they will look into this. I gave the Post Mistress' name for the Marlboro, NY post office. The Post Mistress will not call me back regarding he issue. I do agree that a small mount on the wall (such as a house mount) would suffice for now. Before I take it further, (media), I am trying to find out the exact regulation that the USPS has regarding the displaying of the flag. Thanks again.