Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Would you be able to direct me to any rules or regulations pertaining to the placement of embroidered or silk... Originally Posted by Jim.Dougherty Would you be able to direct ...
    EmailPoster is offline Junior Member

Default Rules governing use of the american flag on clothing & hats

Would you be able to direct me to any rules or regulations pertaining to the placement of embroidered or silk...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim.Dougherty
    Would you be able to direct me to any rules or regulations pertaining to
    the placement of embroidered or silk screened replicas of the American
    Flag on clothing. Specifically, we are trying to determine the correct
    placement of the flag on a "ball cap" style hat that is worn by
    correctional officers in the States correctional facilities.
    Should it be on the right side of the wearer's head or the left. Please
    confirm that regardless of which side its placed, the union or blue
    field should always be to the left of the observer.

Thank you for your help.

jproffitt10 Guest

Jim,

There are two portions of the United States Flag Code which address your question. They are Sections 8(i) and 8(j) respectively:

(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown. (j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

It is appropriate to place the flag on a hat and you are correct, the union should always be to its own right (the viewers' left). Whether the flag is on the left or right side of the cap does not matter. Just like law enforcement and fire agencies around the nation--some place patches on the left shoulder and some on the right, so it's up to you. Thanks.

figmo124 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Rules governing use of the american flag on clothing & hats

Is there any distinction between a flag and a replica? My friend says the only "real" flag is embroidered stars and stitched stripes. Printed flags are replicas and not subject to US Flag code for handling.

Peter Ansoff is offline USA Flag Site Admin

My friend says the only "real" flag is embroidered stars and stitched stripes. Printed flags are replicas and not subject to US Flag code for handling.

I'm afraid that your friend is wrong. The flag is defined by what it looks like, not what it's made of. An American flag is an American flag, whether it's printed, sewn or painted.

There is an interesting issue concerning representations of the flag on materials other than cloth. For example, the flag code refers to flag lapel pins as "replicas." It seems to me that, in general, common sense should prevail. Both actual flags and "replicas" should be treated with respect because they are symbols of our nation. The flag code is a set of guidelines, not some kind of holy writ.

Peter Ansoff

Marc Leepson is offline Junior Member

You all might be interested in the article I wrote on this topic for the Washington Post Outlook section. It's in today's (Sunday, July 6) paper.

You can read it online at
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/03/AR2008070303248.html

Marc Leepson
    Author of Flag: An American Biography

thorpu is offline Junior Member

my question is this. I wear a vest when riding for and with the V.F.W. riders.
    I have a Flag patch just above the left pocket. May a patch honoring a fellow veteran (now deceased) be sew above the U.S. Flag patch?

PRGringo is offline Senior Member

My interpretation of the flag code would be that the US flag should be above any other.

Interesting commentary on the Washington Post website on your July article, Mark. There are many trolls out there who just seem to want to annoy people by saying things intended to insult the flag. They know their speech is protected but they do not seem to be able to make the mental connection between the men and women who died and defended that flag to establish and preserve that freedom.

It is their right to state their POV but it is also my right to think they are clueless idiots.

skippy1607 is offline Junior Member

If your on a fire dept. witch arm does the flag go on?

Peter Ansoff is offline USA Flag Site Admin

Hello, Skippy!

If your on a fire dept. witch arm does the flag go on?

For non-military organizations, there is no standard rule about this. Some organizations put it on the right sleeve and some on the left -- either one is OK. In the military, the Army puts the patch on the right sleeve, and the other services put it on the left.

Peter Ansoff
    "We live by symbols, and what shall be symbolized by any image of the sight depends upon the mind of him who sees it."
    -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Marc Leepson is offline Junior Member

If the flag is on the right sleeve, it should go in the "reverse field" position.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-27-2010, 11:21 AM