10th anniversay of Sept 11, 2001

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by Fireman, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Fireman

Fireman New Member

I am starting plans for a 10th anniversay ceremony for Sept. 11, 2011. There is a new 10th Anniversary edition Flag of Honor. How is it best displayed? Should it be flown directly below the American Flag or does it replace the American Flag? It's design is an american flag. This flag is called the flag of Honor and it has the stars on the blue back and then the stripes are names of those who perished on 9-11-2001. Should we fly all three, (US, KS, Flag of Honor) in that order on one pole?:rolleyes:

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Greetings, Fireman! Welcome to the forum.

This is actually a rather tricky question. The Flag of Honor is not technically a US flag (it's more like a poster containing a modified US flag). However, it is obviously based on the US flag and it would look odd if it were flown without the same attention to protocol. This is awkward -- you end up with what appears to be two US flags one above the other, or, even worse, the state flag above what looks like a US flag.

If I were planning such a ceremony, I think that I would try to find a way to separate the Flag of Honor from the US and state flags, so that they would not be perceived as being part of the same display. For example, the US and state flags could be flown from the pole, and the Flag of Honor could be displayed statically (on a wall, perhaps). Alternatively, the Flag of Honor hand-carried on a staff, while the others fly on the pole.

The Flag of Honor is a fine concept. I've seen them, and they are very attractive and inspiring. However, I'm not sure that it was a good idea to make them as actual flags. They work much better as static displays, for two reasons: first, you can't read the captions or any of the names when they're flying, and second, they cause protocol problems like the one that you raised in your post.

Best regards,

Peter Ansoff

3. Fireman

Fireman New Member

Thank you for the information. I will discuss it with other members of the committee so as we decide how we go about the ceremony

4. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Re: 10th anniversay of Sept 11, 2001 - Annin's Flags

Hello !

As near as I can tell, Annin has made two (2) separate commemorative, or "tribute" 9/11 "Flags" : "Flag Of Honor" (For all those who were killed) and "Flag Of Heroes" (For the "first responders" - EMTs, Firemen, Police, etc. - who were killed).

Please note how the "flags" are made. They are, in essence, a picture of a flag printed on a flag. You can read more about Annin's 9/11 tribute flags on their website.

Annin's Product Page :
    http://www.annin.com/products/flag_spotlight_flagofhonor.asp

NOTE : I'll try to "Copy/Paste" the pictures of the flags here. If it works, you should be able to see them. If it doesn't, then you can use the link (above) to go to Annin's on-line catalog page for them.

[​IMG]

THE "FLAG OF HONOR" Flag :

[​IMG]

THE "FLAG OF HEROES" Flag :

[​IMG]

I hope this helps everyone get a little better idea as to what has been discussed here and what they look like!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA