13 star naval ensign

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by PHIL REYNOLDS, Mar 22, 2012.

1. PHIL REYNOLDS

PHIL REYNOLDS New Member

Hi All
    I Am Looking For Information On A 13 Star Navel Ensign That I Found In An Old Barn As A Child I Lived In Somerville Ma. Which Is Very Close To The Charlestown Navey Yard.the Information That I Have Now Is U.s. Ensign #8 Navy Yard N.y. July 1898 Size Is 31"x54"
    The Gromet Reads Patd. Aug 26 1884 No. 0 After The 1898 It Reads Op81 Or 61 THANKS PHIL REYNOLDS

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Re: 13 star navel ensign

Phil,
    Your flag is a US Navy Boat Flag. An "ensign" is the national flag of stars amd stripes flown at the stern of a ship or boat, while the "jack" is just the field of stars. Since boats flew a smaller ensign than ships, Boat Flags had 13 stars so that the stars would be more distinguishable at a distance (also because sewing all the little stars to represent all the states took a long time when every thing was done by hand.) By WW I the Navy adopted the 48 star flag for all sizes of ensigns.
    A flag very similar to yours just sold on eBay for $1770. You can see it at
    eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

That was about the highest price I have seen for a navy-marked 13 star boat flag recently.

Can you post a picture of your flag?

For more navy boat flags please see:
    Flickr: Search nicka21045's photostream

Nick A
    Columbia MD

3. PHIL REYNOLDS

PHIL REYNOLDS New Member

Re: 13 star navel ensign

Hi NICK thank you so much for the very informative information on my flag pics. are comming my flag is not in that great cond.

4. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Here are Phil's Photos:

Phils Photo 4.JPG

Phils Photo 1.jpg

Phils Photo 2.JPG