13-Starred American Flag, (Pictures!)

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by IErrantVentureI, Feb 17, 2009.

1. IErrantVentureI

IErrantVentureI New Member

Hello, I was wondering if any of you could help me identify the age of this flag. All the information known about it is that it was found in a desk around 1942. Any help is much appreciated!

Also, please let me know if I need to take any more pictures of anything. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

And where may we see the pictures of this flag?

3. IErrantVentureI

4. IErrantVentureI

The flag is 2 feet by 3 feet 8 inches.

All 6 pictures should be up now. :)

5. Hi there

Ok so looking at these pictures I can see a number of points that help in dating the flag

BRASS GROMMETS didnt appear on many flags before the civil war

ZIGZAG MACHINE STITCHED STARS.

Walter Hunt built the first crank-operated American sewing machine in 1833-34. Elias Howe, of Massachusetts, completed his first mechanized sewing machine prototype in 1844, and it was issued an American patent in 1846. Because of problems marketing his invention, Howe went to London to further develop the machine. Treadle sewing machines were first mass-produced in 1855 by American, Issac Singer.
    Zig zag stitching on stars 1st started appearing at the turn of the century (1900)

By the time of the Civil War, sewing machines were being used on roughly 60 – 70% of American national flags. By the Centennial, the treadle machine was used on almost all stripes, but the stars were typically still hand-appliquéd. By the Spanish American War (1898), hand sewing on American National Flags had all but vanished.

the stars have been sewn with a machine, as have the stripes on this flag

Due to the slightly irregular positioning on both the stars, and the stripes of this flag, leads me to believe this was sewn by an individual , rather than mass produced

If I was to put a date range on this flag based on what I know, I would give it one between 1900 and 1930

6. IErrantVentureI

Thanks so much! So you're saying that it's gotta be around 100 years old?