1918-2018 100 yrs Since The Great War

Discussion in 'Other Patriotism' started by FlagAdvocate, Jul 31, 2018.

1. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

The Pennsylvania Military Museum Face Book page @ PAMilMuseum posted the following image I thought the Forum would be interested in seeing.

End Of Great War.jpg

Union Jack likes this.
  2. FoxValleyMike

FoxValleyMike Member

As a dog person that's pretty cool.

I'm sorry to say that I didn't realize this was the 100th anniversary of the end of the war. I'll have to figure out what flag to display now on November 11th.

3. Union Jack

Union Jack Member

I love WWI postcard/posters and FlagAdvocate's post is really typical of the day. Of course the 100th anniversary of the Armistice is being observed here in France. Although in Bretagne where I reside didn't have any land battles there are plenty of reminders of the sacrifice made by the population. In my small village, as in thousands of similar villages, towns and cities throughout France, there is a lovely and poignant war memorial. On this memorial the names of the men from my village that paid the ultimate price for defending their nation are etched. I always find it incredible that such a small village could lose so many men either KIA or severely injured and go on and eventually thrive.

UJ

4. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

…..
    I've somewhat kept track of the 100th Anniversary (Centennial) of the beginning and end (Armistice Day) of World War 1 ("The Great War"). I know that I'll probably put together some kind of Flags Display here at my house to commemorate the occasion, but at this point I'm not too sure of what It will look like. Plus, the weather might be a little "iffy" here in the great Northwest on November 11th.

I would recommend & urge all Americans, wherever they may be, to look into the "Capitol Flag" program and see about getting an American Flag flown over the U.S. Capitol Building on 11-11-2018 to commemorate the Centennial of the end of the "Great War". Contact your Congressional Representative and/or Senator to check on prices (VERY Reasonable!), fabrics, and sizes available. you DO need to plan ahead and take care of all the arrangements WELL BEFORE the day you want to get a Flag flown over the Capitol.

The Flags that they fly over the Capitol are 50-star Flags that made in the USA, you CAN make special arrangements to have OTHER alternative U.S. Flags flown over the Capitol, BUT... you would have to provide your own Flag even further in advance of the date you want it to be flown. In the case of commemorating the 100th Anniversary of the end of World War One, you'd probably want to provide a 48-Star Flag of an "acceptable" size, because there were 48 States in the Union at that time..

While making arrangements and payments for the Capitol Flag Program go through your Representative's or Senator's office, it is actually the office "Architect Of The Capitol" (AOC) that does all the "work".

Here's a link to the AOC's webpage for the Capitol Flag Program. not a lot there but, hey, you have to start somewhere, right?

https://www.aoc.gov/flags

I went through my Congressman, Peter DeFazio, and had a bunch of Flags flown over the Capitol on September 14th, 2014 to mark the Bicentennial (200th Anniversary) of Francis Scott Key's poem, "The Defense Of Fort McHenry", which became the lyrics to the USA's National Anthem.

If I can do it, YOU can do it too!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA
    …..

5. FoxValleyMike

FoxValleyMike Member

Great idea Robin. I just contacted my Representative in Illinois and asked about the program. We'll see if I have enough time to get one (hopefully I can make arrangements for a 48 star flag to fly).

Robin Hickman likes this.
  6. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

…..
    Hey, Mike!

You can double-check with both of your Senators, too. If I remember correctly, sometimes there's a wee, small price difference and, in some cases, FREE delivery. I think that the 48-Star Flag would be a GREAT alternative. The toughest thing might be finding one that you can afford to buy. At least a 3'x5' or 4'x6' sewn & embroidered nylon one. I think, but I'm NOT sure, that they might accept a cotton 5'x9½' burial/interment/casket Flag. If they do, then it will be MUCH cheaper than trying to find/buy a smaller nylon Flag. Also, if you have more than one child, you might consider having more than one flown over the Capitol. That way, you'll be able to have more than just one "legacy" Flag to hand-down to your "inheritors".

Good Luck!

Robin
    …..