2 Bills In 111th Congress Regarding The Star Spangled Banner And The War Of 1812 Bicentennial !!!

Discussion in 'American Flag History' started by Robin Hickman, May 2, 2009.

1. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

GREETINGS !!!

There are currently TWO (2) bills under consideration in the 111th Congress concerning the Bicentennials of the War Of 1812 and the Star Spangled Banner! There might be more, but when I found these two listed I came straight over here without any further investigation.

In the Senate, there is S. 518 : "Star-Spangled Banner and War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission Act"

Details can be found HERE :
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:S.518:

And in the House of Representatives, there is H.R. 2097, "Star-Spangled Banner Commemorative Coin Act"

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.2097:

There might be other bills similar to these two, I don't know. But at least the links to these two are listed here for everybody to check out!

Robin Hickman

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Thanks for posting these, Robin. For anyone who can't get the links in Robin's post to work correctly (I couldn't!): you can read the bills by going to the main "Thomas" site at the Library of Congress, THOMAS (Library of Congress), and searching on the bill numbers (S518 and HR2097). There's also a Senate version of the one on the coins (S653), and several others dealing with preservation of War of 1812 battlefields, etc. Do a search on "War of 1812" in "Thomas" for a list.

Peter Ansoff

3. Robin Hickman

GOOD Catch, Peter !

I thoroughly missed those!

I did, however find Senator Inoye's proposed bill to re-set Memorial Day back to its "traditional" (pre-1971) place in the calendar: May 30th. Too bad he didn't choose to include something to honor Abraham Lincoln's birthday as a Federal Holiday!

Robin Hickman

PS. While I agree with the change back to the "original" date, I do NOT agree with some of the language he wants to insert into the U.S. Code. (in my view, Senator Inoye's language steps on the toes of Veterans' Day and makes it redundant.)

4. mattsaccount

mattsaccount Member

It looks like the links didn't work because they were both missing the trailing ":" symbol. These ones should work:

Senate version
    House version

Blame the forum :)

5. Robin Hickman

Thanks, Mattsaccount !

I have no idea why the links didn't work. The end colons are clearly "there" where they should be, but for some reason they are not part of the links.

Let's see if it will work THIS time. IF it doesn't, then you folks can click on the links that Mattsaccount has provided in his comment above, or you can simply "Copy/Paste" the URL into your browser a click GO.

One..... More..... Time.....

In the Senate, there is S. 518 : "Star-Spangled Banner and War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission Act".

Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress):

And in the House of Representatives, there is H.R. 2097, "Star-Spangled Banner Commemorative Coin Act".

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.2097:

[NOTE : When I pasted in the URL's, the end colons were once again NOT underlined and therefore were not part of the links (corrupting them). So I added an underline to each end colon and then highlighted each link and clicked on the "<>" HTML Wrap tags above the message window. I don't know if it will work. whether it does or doesn't, at least you'll know what i tried to do to remedy the situation.]

Here Goes Nuthin'.....

Robin Hickman

EDIT : "HTML" code tags didn't really "DO" anything, so I just went back to the way I had done it before, with the exception of making sure the end colons were underlined.

SAME RESULTS AS THE FIRST TIME. DON'T KNOW IF IT IS THIS SITE'S FAULT OR THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS. ALL I KNOW IS THAT IT IS DEFINITELY NOT MY FAULT !!!

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  6. mattsaccount

mattsaccount Member

For future reference, there is actually an "insert link" button in the toolbar just above the box in which you type a reply message. That is, the buttons are laid out as follows (from the left):

- Remove text formatting
    - Bold
    - Italic
    - Underline
    - Font colors
    - Insert Link

If you click that button, you can then paste the desired link into the box, and then click OK. That should guarantee that the link makes it through :)

7. Robin Hickman

OK. I checked them ALL !

ALL of the links that I have used in my posts, I have put there using the "Copy/Paste" method.

They ALL work except the "thomas.loc.gov" ones. For some reason the final character in the address does NOT get included in the link's address when it is copied to the page. You can SEE it, BUT it is NOT part of the link.

I went through ALL of my posts and tested EVERY link that I used and they ALL worked just fine EXCEPT the "thomas.loc.gov" ones.

Robin "It Ain't Me, Babe!" Hickman