2 Flags in stadium- face which one for national anthem?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Flag Discussion' started by RAO, Jun 9, 2017.

1. RAO

RAO New Member

At a recent graduation we were in a stadium with a national flag on a flag pole on one side of the stadium. In another location, on the other side there was a national in flag stand at the ground level by the students. When the national anthem played, the kids all faced the flag on the flag pole, as did most people in the stands. The dignitaries faced the flag in the stand at ground level in the opposite direction. Which flag should everyone be facing for the national anthem?

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Greetings, RAO, and welcome to our Forums!

I vote for the "Stadium" Flag since it is larger, higher up, and is, more or less, "part" of the Stadium. Especially, if the National Anthem was a recording that was played over the stadium's public address system.

I can also see where someone could vote for the "Student" Flag, since it was brought by the students for the purpose of their graduation. The only "fly in the ointment" for the "Student" Flag is that the Students, themselves, faced the National Flag flying up on the Stadium's flagpole during the playing of the National anthem.

So I vote for the Stadium's Flag flying from the Stadium's flagpole!

I wonder how everyone else will vote on this flag-related issue???

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

3. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Why do we need to choose? They're both American flags and both equally worthy of our salute. I don't see why it matters that some salute one and some the other.

4. RAO

RAO New Member

Robin,
    Thanks for the viewpoint on this. I guess I should have clarified that the flag on the ground was with the state flag at the front corner of the seating arrangement for the ceremony. They were set up there hours before the ceremony even began so they didn't just bring them in. The football stadium flag pole was to the back of the students as they were seated for the ceremony. (They turned to face the flag.) It seemed like as soon as everyone stood for the national anthem everyone faced the stadium flag for it was probably 75-80 feet in the air. (Most people probably had been there before and knew where the flag was.) The only people facing the flag at ground level were the 8-10 dignitaries that were sitting near it. Like you, the highest, largest flag seems to be the most proper flag to face for proper etiquette.

RAO

5. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Well, it looks like everybody was able to find an American Flag to face and "salute" while the National Anthem was playing! :D

Happy Flag Day (today), and have a GREAT Summer! :cool:

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.