24 Star Flag finished

Discussion in 'American Flag Pictures' started by CapeFearPirate, Apr 6, 2014.

1. I have slowed down my flag making until recently. Here is my version of a 24 star flag. With the addition of Missouri in 1821, it lasted 14 years. The canton is longer than usual, about 50% of the length.

It will be displayed on August 10th along with the Missouri state flag.

[​IMG]

Oops! Left a few threads on the flag! :p

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hey, Steve!!

Pretty good looking Flag!! :D

I think as you start making Flags with more and more Stars, you'll have to start making smaller and smaller Stars so they'll all fit inside the Canton/Union without distorting its size or shape.

September 14th, 2014 will mark the Bicentennial of Francis Scott Key's poem, "Defence Of Fort McHenry", which celebrated that our Flag (the "Star-Spangled Banner") was still there by the dawn's early light after the constant British bombardment. Maybe you can make a 15-Stars & 15-Stripes "Star-Spangled Banner"? You can still use the larger Stars AND make 'em "dance"!!! :cool:

Keep up The GOOD WORK !!!

Robin Hickman
    ("Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man")
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

3. Thanks, Robin. I am learning a lot about early flags.

When I researched this flag, I found that there were a couple different styles. Some modern flag makers use a "standard" size for all their cantons. Looking at vintage flags from the period, I found a few where the canton was 50% of the length of the flag. My 25 star Navy Ensign was like that.

There are also square cantons that were used on Medallion and Grand Star designs. I want to make something that falls outside of the modern manufacturers conventional designs. Sometimes a very rare version of an early flag, something primitive, appeals to me rather than the "official" design.

I have not made anything that I have not seen in a vintage flag. I just figure I will make flags that are out of the ordinary whenever possible to commemorate their ancestor.

4. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Thank you and keep up the good work!!!

IF you decide to "celebrate" the bicentennial of the "Star-Spangled Banner" by creating a 15-Star & 15-Stripe "Star-Spangled Banner", please use BIG Stars and make 'em dance... just like the original !!!

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.