3 Flagpoles, arranged front to back

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by Costy3, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Costy3

Costy3 New Member

We are finishing construction on a new military Readiness Center, which will house multiple services. The contractors just installed three flag poles per the design specifications, which I believe to be incorrect. Please verify...

1. The flagpoles are oriented perpendicular to the front of the building, not left to right. The U.S. pole is second of the three. Therefore, as you drive up towards the building, the first flag pole is shorter, the second is
    tall (U.S.), and the third is shorter. The design calls for 1) state flag, 2) U.S. flag, 3) highest flag-officer flag. Can the U.S. flag be the second flag in order as you approach the building? If not, should we leave the first one empty, or does it need to come down?

2. The first and third poles are supposed to be the same height, but the contractor did not account for the change in grade. Therefore, the third pole is taller than the first by about a foot. Based on the answer to the
    first question (i.e. "Can we fly anything on the first pole, and if so, what?"), how do we manage the height discrepancy, or does one of these poles need to come down?

Thanks,

Fred

2. teevee_dinner

teevee_dinner New Member

Wow. Although I have no answer for you -- I sure wonder about the sensibility of the architect that designed that flagpole configuration?! :)

Please post if a proper solution is found.

3. Costy3

Costy3 New Member

Hi folks,

I haven't received any advice on this one, so I'm going to appeal again, with the question re-worded and broken into three parts. I'd appreciate help on any one or all three if possible.

1. Where (if anywhere) is it written that flagpoles must be oriented parallel with the front of a building?

2. If flagpoles may be oriented perpendicular to a building, where (if anywhere) does it specify the position of honor for this configuration?

3. Where (if anywhere) is it written that the shorter flagpoles flanking the U.S. flag must be of equal height?

I am attaching photos of these flagpoles. In the "perp to bld" photo, the road is to the left, and the building to the right. In the "from bld" photo, the highest pole is in the middle, followed by the one closest to the building, then the one closest to the road.

Thanks,

Fred

JAFRC Flagpoles Perp to Bld.jpg JAFRC Flagpoles From Bld.jpg

4. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Greetings, Costy3, welcome to the forum! Here are my thoughts on your questions:

1. Where (if anywhere) is it written that flagpoles must be oriented parallel with the front of a building?

Nowhere that I know of, unless it's specified in a local building code or some such thing.

2. If flagpoles may be oriented perpendicular to a building, where (if anywhere) does it specify the position of honor for this configuration?

The Flag Code does not address this specifically, but it does give us a hint or two. Assuming that the flags are at the same height, the sense of it seems to be that the position of honor is on the flag's right (viewer's left) if the grouping would normally be viewed from one side. If it's equally viewable from both sides, the position of honor is to the north or east. Again, this is an extrapolation.

3. Where (if anywhere) is it written that the shorter flagpoles flanking the U.S. flag must be of equal height?

Again, nowhere that I know of. My personal view is that three-pole groupings at three different heights look a bit odd, but I don't think that there is any rule against them.

I hope this is at least a start in addressing your questions. Again, welcome!

Peter Ansoff

5. Costy3

Costy3 New Member

Peter,

Thanks for your reply. My thought is that the flag code does not specify some of these things, but maybe it should be re-written to include them. If not, there also seems to be insufficient protocol or other written tradition that clarify things like this. I am quite certain that the flag code's description of flags against a wall or flags relative to a stage can be translated to a building, and if the flags are perpendicular to the building (stage), then the flag code can be translated as flags processing down a street (position of honor is 1st flag). I think the heights of the 2 flanking poles should be even just by common sense and good decorum.

Should the code be re-written to remove this ambiguity?

Cheers!

Fred