3 flags

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by ssg pike, Aug 26, 2011.

1. ssg pike

ssg pike New Member

Three flags one pole u.s. on top no brainer what would be next P.O.W or state flag

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Re: 3 flags -- U.S. / State / POW*MIA

Greetings, SSG Pike !!! :D

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site Forums !!! :D

QUOTE : "Three flags one pole u.s. on top no brainer what would be next P.O.W or state flag."

Although flying three flags from one flagpole is not generally recommended it should be okay IF the flagpole is "tall" enough and the three flags are "small" enough! The "rule of thumb" for sizing flags to flagpoles is the largest flag's length should be between 1/4 and 1/3 the heighth of the flagpole. Or another way of looking at it is that heighth of the flagpole should be between 3 to 4 times the length of the largest flag.

In your case, the three flags should be arranged as follows : The U.S. Flag on top, your State's Flag in the middle, and the POW*MIA Flag on the bottom.

I hope that helps!

SPECIAL REQUEST ! We here on the USA-Flag-Site Forums like to see pictures of the Flags that people have and/or fly. When you get your three Flags flying from your flagpole, would you please take a few pictures of them and post them back here in this thread???

THANK YOU !!! :D

Thank You for bringing your Flag-related question to our Forums !!! :D

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

3. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Re: 3 flags -- PARTIAL Correction !!!

I believe a slight correction to my advice given in my previous post regarding three flags on one pole is in order.

"Usually", for most of the year, I believe that my advice, as written, is correct. The order of precedence in your situation should be U.S., State, and POW*MIA flags.

However, there is a GSA Bulletin (effective June 10, 2008) that directs that there are SIX (6) days each year when the precedence protocol for the State & POW*MIA flags is REVERSED.

A copy of that GSA Bulletin can be found HERE : http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/more/powmia.htm

The SIX (6) days delineated in the bulletin are as follows

1. Armed Forces Day (Third Saturday in May)
    2. Memorial Day (Last Monday in May)
    3. Flag Day (June 14th)
    4. Independence Day (July 4th)
    5. National POW/MIA Recognition Day (by Presidential Proclamation; historically, the third Friday of September)
    6. Veterans' Day (November 11th)

The part of the GSA Bulletin that is pertinent here is contained in Section 4, sub-section f.

4. What action must I take?
    f. What is the official protocol for displaying the POW/MIA flag? When displayed from a single flag pole, the POW/MIA flag should fly directly below, and be no larger than, the flag of the United States. If on separate poles, the flag of the United States always should be placed to the right of other flags. On the six national observances for which Congress has ordered display of the POW/MIA flag, it is generally flown immediately below or adjacent to the flag of the United States as second in order of precedence." (Emphasis Added)

[​IMG][​IMG]

The "order of precedence", as I understand it, stems from Military regulations, most notably, the U.S. Army (and others). Each branch of our military services follows a designated set of flag protocols. I am not sure, at this point, which one (if any) the Federal Government follows. Regardless of all that, I doubt that any of them would be binding on civilians. BUT... I don't know that for sure.

A copy of the FLAG CODE can be found HERE :
    http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

You may find further information on their FAQ Page found HERE :
    http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/faq.htm

Good Luck !!!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA