32 star flag test post

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by charlie3, Mar 31, 2015.

1. charlie3

charlie3 New Member

I intended to post links to a flag and get some advice about it and can't seem to post. May be the board refuses to post my photo links until I have some minimum number of posts?

Edit, Ah, now I see the post was successful without links. How many posts before I can include photo links? How can I post the photo links so they will appear in the posts as photos instead of links.

In the mean time the flag has been hanging on a wall since the 1950s. My grandmother, who died in 1987 said it belonged to her grandfather (my great great) who was born in 1822 and died in 1892. It's big, about 7' by 13'. It probably needs to be in a better situation than where it's hanging now and so we're thinking about what the options might be and coming here looking for advice about that. I'll post phots as soon as board rules allow.

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Greetings, charlie3 -- welcome to the forum!

There's no minimum number of posts before you can post photos. The key is the little icon that's at the top of the edit screen -- it looks like a frame with a tree in it. Click on that, and it will walk you through the process of uploading and posting photos from your computer or from a URL. One tricky point is that there's a maximum file size of around 90K -- you may have to resave the photo at a smaller size before posting it.

If you have any problems with this, send me a PM and we'll work out a way to get your pictures up. Again, welcome to the forum!

Peter Ansoff
    Forum Admin

3. charlie3

charlie3 New Member

4. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Very nice flag. Original and rare. Very good condition for its age. However, rather large for most collectors to display, and that affects the flag's value. What sort of "options" are you considering? Selling? Donating? Or continuing to display the flag in your home?
    Nick A
    Columbia Maryland

5. charlie3

charlie3 New Member

Donating, selling, or continuing to display are none of the options we are considering at the moment. The two we are considering are storage or a loooong term loan to an institution that is qualified and interested in displaying it. Now we know MN was the state that got the new star. They might have the right institution for this.

The problem might be a wall tall enough, well protected from UV that doesn't already have something on it.

6. charlie3

charlie3 New Member

I should add, donating to the right institution would work for me but but involves extra politics that's not certain. A very very long loan period is easier. I would pick years beyond the lives in being for practical purposes so that by the time the period was over nobody would be around to worry about it.

7. Billy Bob

Billy Bob New Member

The flag is beautiful, although very large it displays well.

8. Billy Bob

Billy Bob New Member

Never donate to a museum, many folks don't know museums sell off items from time to time. If you want it to be displayed at a museum long term loan as you mentioned is the way to go.

9. charlie3

charlie3 New Member

One thing I haven't mentioned yet. The flag is in a museum owned by a private foundation. I'm the president of the foundation. It's a local history museum with historic buildings, several with their original stuff. It was started by our grandmother. We want to keep it going. The flag is one of those items that is not of such great importance to our operation but might be to another. We can't give it the quality of care that might be available in the right place.

Recently we were in touch with the Lincoln presidential library for one of our documents (I am relieved to learn the signature is a secretary, not Lincoln himself). I mentioned the flag. The person who advised us said the Lincoln library has too many flags. I know how he feels. He suggested that perhaps an appropriate institution in Minnesota would be interested so I may be looking into that. It just seems a shame to store it. Folding will do it no good.

Having said all that I am interested in knowing a fair market value. Similar to the Lincoln document, if it's not worth much it will be easier to persuade the other descendens to allow the flag to be displayed somewhere else if a place can be found. Sometimes I tell visitors on tour that a museum is an orphanage for things.

10. charlie3

charlie3 New Member

The museum is full of things that are original and rare. I tell visitors that almost everything they are looking has a current market value less than the cost of producing an exact replica today. Consider the flag. Obtain replica fabrics and threads and hand sew with identical techniques. What would that cost? What is this original flag worth on the market by comparison?

Sometimes visitors on a tour will admire an artifact and I'll ask, would you want that in your house? Invariably they say no. Well then the museum owns it so you don't have to. What makes our stuff valuable is not the market value but that a lot of it is still sitting in the exact spot where it was put when it was purchased new in the 1880s.

I wonder if any museum or public building in Minnasota has an original 32 star flag on display. At the Lincoln library the flag would be just a burden they would decline to accept. But it might be well worth the trouble in Minnesota.

11. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

My rule of thumb used to be "If the antique flag costs less than the MSRP of a 50-star flag of the same size, buy it!"