34-Star Civil War Flag

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by killen1940, Jun 23, 2013.

1. killen1940

killen1940 New Member

001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg I sure would like to hear some comments from the experts about my 34-star flag which I have owned for about forty years. I bought it for $75 from a Civil War dealer. It is approximately 3 X 5 and in pretty good condition for a flag over 150 years old. It appears to be handmade and I would like to have some idea about what it would be worth on the flag market today. I have attached several photos. Several of the stars are under the fold on the left of the flag. Thanks for any help.

2. James Hunter

James Hunter New Member

3. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Your flag is a nice size for display and would likely sell on eBay anywhere from $750 to $1500. At a Civil War collector's show I would expect to see a price tag of $2000 to $3000 on it. At a brick-and-mortar auction house I would expect to see an estimate of $2000 to $2500 but I would be surprised if it went over the $1750 to $2000 range. If an antique dealer conserved and framed it properly the price tag could go over $5000. Yes, that is quite a variety of estimated values, but that is realistic for antique flags - antique flag values vary significantly and not always with rhyme or reason. About the only absolute truth is that a fancy star pattern like circular ("medallion pattern") or the "great star" pattern will significantly affect the value, maybe double it. Yours has an interesting pattern in that it appears to leave room for more stars, but is otherwise not very "sexy" from a Vexillological point of view.

By the way, I paid $12 for the 34-star flag I got 40 years ago. The size didn't make it very saleable: 15 x 23 FEET!

Nick A
    Columbia Maryland

4. ckgmarketing08

ckgmarketing08 New Member

5. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

6. ckgmarketing08

ckgmarketing08 New Member

after further looking i'm thinking yes.. machine on the stripes and hand on the stars. another question was are the stars on both sides. do you think this was asked to determine value or if the person was trying to determine if it was a parade flag? its definitely not printed..its on a wool or cotton cloth material. i may open the frame tonight and find out.

does printed on both sides have more value? does machine sewn have any value? Please help..

7. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

There have been many fake Civil War era flags on eBay. The largest quantity of repros were one sided - you would never see that on a genuine flag. That is probably why you were asked that question. A group out of Bristol Tennessee was selling them as authentic 1860's relics. When they were busted for that they tried selling them as authentic "Civil War Veterans' Flags" from the early 20th C. Most buyers are wise to them now, but sometimes these bogus flags end up at auction houses that don't know any better...

I would have an expert examine the textiles and sewing methods before I offered that as a genuine Civil War era flag. The machine stitching and glued-on stars are not at all characteristic of authentic 1859/1860 era flags. Other things that concern me is the lack of a heading, and only one row of stitching at the fly end. My guess, from looking just at the photos provided, is that it was made for the 50th anniversary of Oregon state hood in 1909. It could have been a home-made flag from 1859, but I don't see anything that tells me it is older than the early 20th century.

Nick A

8. csaanv

csaanv Member

This really looks like a repo. The thread looks too bright, the over all wear is not typical of natural aging. The stars look too primitive. We seen this before with the fake Bristol Depot Confederate flags. Buyer beware!

9. AmericaHurrah

AmericaHurrah Member

"Bristol Depot". I love it. They have made more of those damned things than the Philadelphia Depot made Union flags. lol At any rate, yes, the 33 is some sort of reproduction. But my real question is "did the guys in Tennessee actually get arrested and charged? Does anyone know the names or any other details?

10. csaanv

csaanv Member

I wish I had come up with that but I saw it on the Civil War Flags message board. There were numerous posts concerning these flags. Unfortunately, a few folks got ripped off by that gang.

11. killen1940

killen1940 New Member

I am confused about the responses I have been getting about my 34-star flag. Several of the responses to my query have to do with a 33-star flag on eBay which several think is fake. Does anyone think that my 34-star flag is fake?

12. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Hello Killen1940.
    Your 34-star flag definitely appears to be an authentic Civil War period flag. A person who was trying to sell a 33-star flag on eBay jumped onto this thread, but I don't think they got the response they expected. The consensus opinion is that the 33-star flag is a fake, but that does not affect your flag which has period materials, heading, and stitching.
    Nick A
    Columbia Maryland

13. killen1940

killen1940 New Member

Thanks Nick! Your reply eases my mind. Have a great day.