34 star great star flag on eBay - real?

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by qbertman, Jan 7, 2011.

1. qbertman

qbertman New Member

Hello everyone,

I was hoping that you could share your thoughts on an interesting flag on eBay. It is claimed to be an authentic 34-star great star pattern flag.

Certainly seems that there are a lot of fakes on eBay so I was hoping that I could poll you guys in terms of what you think in terms of authenticity.

ORIGINAL CIVIL WAR U.S.NATIONAL 34 STAR FLAG - eBay (item 150541690820 end time Jan-10-11 10:41:39 PST)

Also, if it's real I'd also be curious if it would make sense to restore a flag like this, or just display it with the current fabric loss.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Nicholas

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

That flag is legit. The material is wool bunting, even though the seller claims it is not. It is definitely not linen. The star pattern would have been fairly common for the 1860's. If I were to buy it I would frame it as-is. The tattered fly end of the flag adds a lot of character to the artifact.

If you want to see a photo of another period wool bunting flag with 34 cotton stars please see my Flickr photostream at 34 Star Flag Civil War Naval Ensign 1861-1863 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

It is a professionally made naval ensign with a rectangular patten of four rows of stars.

The eBay flag is very likely home-made as the stars are stitched on relatively crudely.

Nick

3. qbertman

qbertman New Member

Nick,

Thank you very much for your help. Unfortunately, I was outbid:( Apparently, that was a pretty collectible piece it ended up selling for 6200 :eek: Oh, well.

Anyways, I was hoping that you might be able to tell me something about another flag that I have come across on eBay. It is somewhat odd in that it has 15 stars and is arranged in an oval pattern with 3 stars in the center. Supposedly, it dates from the civil war to the centennial of Kentucky. I have attached a link to the listing.

EXTREMELY RARE ANTIQUE 15 STAR FLAG KENTUCKY STATEHOOD - eBay (item 320641744933 end time Jan-18-11 07:42:49 PST)

thanks, Nicholas