36 star flag

Discussion in 'US Flag Specs and Design' started by kburr55, Jul 27, 2012.

1. kburr55

kburr55 New Member

I have a flag that belonged to my great grandfather. My grandmother gave it to me when I was 12. Many decades later, I have never found info on it because of its size. It's 10 feet by 7 something. I haven't pulled it out in years. One appraiser (12 years back) said it was a burial flag. Because of the size and cloth tabs at the top I knew he just didn't know. Every 10 years I look for info and this time I found this forum. Any ideas? I know there are quite a few 36 flags out there but I've never seen this size(which is approx). Parts are hand and machine sewn. Thank you for any help.

2. APS221

APS221 Member

Can you take some pictures and post them here?

3. kburr55

kburr55 New Member

It is stored at my cabin and I won't be there until mid October. I'll get a photo posted then. Thank you for you interest. Any clue?

4. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

There is not necessarily anything special about a 36 star flag of that size, except that it is a neat old flag. It could,indeed, be a burial flag, or it could have flown at a business, government office building, small ship, etc., etc. What is LEAST likely is that it flew in front of someone's home. That wasn't common until the development of suburbs in the 20th century. There's a pic of my wool bunting flag with 36 cotton stars posted on flickr: 36 Star Flag 1865-1867 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

5. kburr55

kburr55 New Member

My great grandfather owed a bank. I suppose he hung it there, thus the tabs at the top.

peterwith likes this.