36 Star (Great Star) Flag help

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by Teresa Craig, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Teresa Craig

Teresa Craig New Member

Hi Everyone,
    My husband recently inherited a 36 star civil war flag when his father passed away (it was his great-great?? grandfather Young's). It's double-sided, all hand sewn and is in the great star pattern. We'd like to get an appraisal so we can decide if we should sell it, insure it, display it or what our other option might be, but don't know where to start. I'm nervous about sending it via the mail and an appraisal from photos doesn't seem like it would be the most accurate option. We're willing to drive a few hundred miles if necessary to get a real appraisal and certification as long as the cost for the appraisal isn't prohibitive. I've attached a couple of photos. I have more, but they they are too big the site. I had shrink these and they lost some of their crispness. Please let me know if you can point towards a fair appraisal.

2. AmericaHurrah

AmericaHurrah Member

Hi, Teresa.

Where do you live?

Jeff

3. Teresa Craig

Teresa Craig New Member

I live in central Illinois.

4. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, Teresa!

Welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forums!

The BEST Antique Flag appraiser that I've heard of is Jeff Bridgman. He is located in southern Pennsylvania and has a website (that includes how to contact him), which I will include in a link below. Or, of course, you could always "Google" him.

http://jeffbridgman.com/

Good Luck!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.