3flags on 1 pole

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by John Doss, Sep 15, 2008.

1. John Doss

John Doss New Member

I need to hand 3 flags on 1 pole. The flags are the US flag, the State flag and the Navajo Nation flag. I know that the US flag goes on the top but which order do the nex two go?

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Greetings, John -- welcome to the forum!

I need to hand 3 flags on 1 pole. The flags are the US flag, the State flag and the Navajo Nation flag. I know that the US flag goes on the top but which order do the nex two go?

This is an interesting one, because of the unique status of the Native American nations. I don't believe that there is anything in writing about it, but I think it's safe to say that the Navajo flag should be second, and the state flag third. The logic is that the Navajo Nation is a sovereign entity within the USA, and has a higher degree of autonomy than a state.

I don't know if the Navajo Nation (or any of the other Native American nations) has established a flag code of its own. I seem to recall a news report from a couple of years back that the Navajo government was considering a measure to outlaw desecration of the Navajo flag. I don't believe that it was adopted, but it if it ever were it might raise some constitutional issues.

Best,

Peter Ansoff