40 star flag

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by Tom Pulfer, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Tom Pulfer

Tom Pulfer New Member

Hello, I am new to this forum. I have a flag which has been my family for as long as I can remember. I have no idea when it was acquired. It has been in a closet for many years. The other day I pulled it out and unfolded it to find it had only 40 stars. Web research has revealed only that is very rare, is an unofficial flag. According to Jeff Bridgman's site, fewer than 30 were produced, probably 35" x 61", with stars aligned to one o'clock. They were possibly made by U. S. Bunting Co.

My flag is 5' x 9.5' and has start aligned to 12 o'clock. It appears to made of linen and has metal grommets. It is stamped "Valley Forge Flag Co., Spring Valley, Pa."

Since Valley Forge flag factory was founded in 1932 it is hard to imagine why they would produce this flag. Any help solving this mystery would be appreciated.

2. Hmmmmm that DOES seem very odd - that they would reproduce a flag which never was official...

what would be extrememly helpful - and interesting - would be to have a picture or 2 of this flag
    then i might be able to help some more with this one