43 Star Flag

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by nlhester98, Feb 16, 2015.

1. nlhester98

nlhester98 New Member

We recently inherited an antique flag, the family wanted us to burn it but we thought we would try to find out more about it first. It has 43 stars and they are in rows and appear to be screen printed on. It is big and measures about 15ft by 8ft. It has brass grommets to hang it and is a thin, rough material. It has a faded name on the grommet side that looks like J.M. Allen. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. csaanv

csaanv Member

Hi nlhester98,
    What a great wonderful item to inherit. Your discription sounds really interesting and would love to see a photo of your flag. Would that be possible?

3. nlhester98

nlhester98 New Member

20150217_145817.jpg 20150217_145857.jpg Sorry they are not great pictures, it is large!

4. nlhester98

nlhester98 New Member

20150217_145831.jpg It is in pretty good condition.

5. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Your flag is a rare treasure that should be kept in the family and preserved, not burned. It is in very good condition for its age.

The 43-star flag is among the most valuable of antique USA flags of the last 150 years. It was officially in use only one year, July 4, 1890, to July 3, 1891, but practically it became obsolete in about a week. You may find my description of a 43-star flag in my collection to be of interest:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/artimovich/4565877318/

I also have one with resist-dyed stars like yours, but it is much smaller.

Congratulations, and thank you for sharing the photos.

Nick

6. AmericaHurrah

AmericaHurrah Member

Most certainly not burned. While a very difficult flag to sell for significant $$ due to its size, it's a rare relic. I suggested the other day to one of your family members that you perhaps try to donate it to the state of Idaho. You could take a healthy tax deduction, because it legitimately has significant historical value to both that state and the nation as a whole, even if its less valuable to a collector because at 15 feet in length its nearly impossible to frame and display.