46 star flag

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by sipi, Jan 4, 2009.

1. sipi

sipi New Member

I'm curious about the existance of a 46 star american flag.
    Is there such a flag?
    Are they fairly common?
    Any advice would be appreciated

Thank you, Sipi

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Hello Sipi,
    The USA flag had 46 stars from July 4, 1908 until July 3, 1912. They are not very common except on eBay where there were at least four being offered on the morning of January 5, 2009. In eBay 46 star flags sell from $20 for small silk or cotton printed flags up to $100 or more for sewn wool bunting flags. Antique dealers may sell them for much more as they are much harder to come across than 48 star flags. In my experience I found that 45 star flags were easier to find than 46's.

3. jshr

jshr New Member

I've just opened a box of my grandmother's belongings that I inherited several years ago, and found a HUGE, perhaps hand-sewn, 46-star american flag in good condition (no holes, but a bit yellowed). Any insights or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

4. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Congratulations on finding that flag. The info I provided in my recent post (just above yours on the 46 star flag thread) gives you the basics. If you could tell us the size, the material (wool bunting with cotton stars, most likely), any info printed on the heading, the pattern of stars, or just post a picture, and we might be able to let you know more about your flag. Heading, grommets, stitching method for stars, are all useful bits of info.

5. jshr

jshr New Member

Thank you. The flag measures approx 58 inches high by 86 in wide. It has 2 grommets, one at the top and one at the bottom. There's nothing printed/written on it to identify it, but there seems to be a few letters written in pencil, perhaps that say Dad or DS but it's nearly impossible to read. The stars seem to be sewn onto both sides, and there are a few holes and 1 patch that I hadn't noticed before. I think the material is wool bunting (kinda scratchy, thin, and like refined burlap I guess). My pics are too large to upload here I'm afraid, but the star pattern is straight rows, 8, 7, 8, 8, 7, 8 stars per row.

6. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Dear jshr. Thanks for the details. Your flag is a fairly common size, may have started out as a 5x8 foot flag and shrunk a bit with age and use. It is a great century-old relic that is too large to frame (unless you live in a very big house), but may look nice in one of those triangular flag display boxes that are available at most frame/craft stores. Because 46-star flags are not extraordinarily expensive it would not be cost-effective to have it achivealy conserved. Store or display it carefully, keeping it away from sunlight and acidic materials.

7. jshr

jshr New Member

Thank you. I can't wait to see what's in the next box we open!