48 Gold star flag 116"x59"

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by mnwildfan, Nov 3, 2009.

1. mnwildfan

mnwildfan New Member

Can anyone tell me anything about this flag? all stars are gold on both sides.....history?value? stars are gold with white zig zag stiching....I have pics but cant upload here ..can email if needed...thanks

2. Hi there mnwildfan

Here are the pictures you sent me

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My thoughts on this flag is that it is in fact a regular 48 star US flag.

The material on the stars looks to be different than that the rest of the flag is made of, and this material has aged over time and its color slowly turning to this attractive off-white color, where as the rest of the flag has retained its original colors.
    What this means is, is that at the time it was made and in its earlier years, this flag will have been a regular Red White and Blue.

Concerning its value, this is an older US flag, but the 48 star flag was around for 47 years as the official US flag and thus there are a great number- so these flags are not much more in monetary value than a 50 star flag is. In fact, the newer 49 star flag has more monetary value, because it was only around for 1 year (1959-60)

3. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, MnWildFan ! :D

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site Forums !

I agree with "American_Flag_UK". It does appear that the Stars are made of a material that is different from the rest of the Flag, and that they (the Stars) have "aged" (or yellowed) more than the rest of the Flag. Maybe my eyesight is worse than I thought, but it looks to me that there are parts of some of the white Stripes that are exhibiting some yellowing as well.

Even with the "discoloration", it still looks like a VERY nice Flag !!! :D

Thank You for bringing your Flag-related question to our Forums !!!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA