48 Star Dettra

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by killen1940, May 18, 2013.

1. killen1940

killen1940 New Member

Can anyone out there date this 24'' X 36" silk flag by D 001.jpg 002.jpg ettra? Two photos attached.

2. csaanv

csaanv Member

Hi killen1940 and welcome!
    Nice flag. I would say 1950s.

3. killen1940

killen1940 New Member

Thank you CSAANV. I appreciate the information. The flag came out of a VFW hall in Sheffield, AL, many years ago.

4. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

That flag could date earlier as the Glory Gloss brand name was first used by Dettra in 1927. Nick

5. csaanv

csaanv Member

Hi Nick,
    I was wondering about that. My question would be did Dettra start putting labels on their silk flags from 1927?

6. killen1940

killen1940 New Member

Thanks again Nick. This is good information. When did Dettra stop using this label?

Ronald

7. killen1940

killen1940 New Member

Could anyone tell me the approximate value of this 48 star Dettra? Thanks for any help.

8. csaanv

csaanv Member

Hi Ronald,
    I assumed that we are talking about a silk flag? Judging from the weave it looks like silk, can you confirm?

9. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Glory Gloss was Dettra's brand name for their "Acetate Rayon Taffeta" bunting. They used that brand well into the 50-star era, so it does not help you narrow the date. I do not know when Dettra started using sewn labels on their flags as opposed to printing the info on the heading itself. The value of a 48 star rayon flag covers quite a range. I would say it could be worth anything from $25 to $100 depending on who is looking for a high quality rayon 48 star flag.
    Nick

10. killen1940

killen1940 New Member

Yes, it is silk. Thanks.

11. killen1940

killen1940 New Member

My Dettra Glory Gloss is made of silk. Thanks for your comments.

12. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

If the flag is made of Glory Gloss it is rayon, not silk. Rayon is a semi-synthetic fabric manufactured from cellulose, so it approximates silk fairly closely, but it is a man-made fiber.

13. killen1940

killen1940 New Member

Two experts tell me that my 48 star Dettra flag has to be made of Acetate Rayon and not silk. Good information to know. Thanks guys!

14. csaanv

csaanv Member

Hi Ronald,
    I once had a 49 star flag that looked exactly like yours with embroider stars. The blue canton had faded to the exact same color hue as yours too. That is why I was assuming it was from the 50s. I have a seen a couple of flags (an UN flag) from the 1950s made and labeled with a Rayon blend/mix with silk or wool but I didn't realize that fabric went back to the 1920s as Nick stated. Thanks for posting and thank you Nick for the additional info.

15. killen1940

killen1940 New Member

Thanks for the reply. I have really learned a lot about my flag from the nice people on this forum.