48 star Dettras, Stantest 4 x 6 flag

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by scottie_slaughter, May 22, 2010.

1. scottie_slaughter

scottie_slaughter New Member

i have an american flag that is 4 x 6 and has 48 stars on it. i know they were produced between 1912 and 1959 but would like to know if i can narrow down the age of the flag. It has a stamp on it that reads Dettras Flag Production and Stantest Bunting Flag. It is stitched using a double straight stitch and the stars are acutally par to fthe cloth and not sewn on top of the blue field. any info anyone would have is appreciated. thanks a bunch.

2. csaanv

csaanv Member

Hi Scottie,
    I have a Dettra flag catalog from the early 20th century which has a line of Stantest flags: "Quality, Cotton Bunting,- Medium Sheeting. Printed stars and sewed snow white bleached stripes". A 4'x6' flag went for $12 back then. Are the stars arranged in straight rows up and down or are the rows offset Would it be possible for you to upload a close up of the logo stamp on the flag. You probably could scan it in if don't have a digital camera. That may help dating the flag as Dettra went though a series of logo changes over the decades. Maybe Nick, who has a fine collection of early America flags give us his input. Dettra was best known for its cotton Bull-Dog bunting line. Unfortunately, it was bought out by Annin Flag Company a few years back.

3. scottie_slaughter

i am trying to get a pic on here. we just got a new camera and cant figure out how to set the dpi so the pic files arent so big. will keep trying though. the stars are lined up in horizontal and vertical rows no offset. hopefully i can get the pic on here pretty soon.

4. csaanv

csaanv Member

Scottie,
    Send me the pic and I can resize and post it for you.
    Here is my email address: emmalpass@yahoo.com

5. scottie_slaughter

ok email sent. thanks for taking care of the pics for me.

6. csaanv

csaanv Member

Thanks for the pics Scottie. This looks like an earlier Dettras logo stamp different from a 1950s era flag I have. I would say it could be War II era. Maybe Nick can jump in and help us.

IMG_0007s.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

7. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Let me check my Dettra catalogs and see when Stantest shows up. I am fairly sure it was a brand name used during WWII but I don't know when they dropped it.
    Nick

8. scottie_slaughter

nick,

have you had a chance to look for the stantest label in your catalog. just curious.

9. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Yes,:)

Stantest shows up in my Dettra catalogs dated 1927,1933,1939, 1950, 1954, and 1957, but it is not a bunting offered in 1961 or 1962. My guess is that they dropped Stantest when the 48-star flag became obsolete. :eek:

While that is a key bit of information for dating flag bunting, it does not help you pin down the date of your flag. :(

The catalogs do not show the logos or brand name stamps that appear on the heading other than the Dettra Flag Products shield that appears on all their flags and the Bulldog head that appears on their trademarked cotton bunting.

Nick