48 star flag AJAX. p 4x10 feet

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by armymomx3, Sep 10, 2017.

1. armymomx3

armymomx3 New Member

hello, I was given a 48 star (printed, not sewn stars). It has two gromets and what looksto be stenciled "AJAX. P 4x10 FT ". I was hoping for any information you can share. I'm not finding anything on the internet.

Respectfully-

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Greetings, ArmyMomX3, and welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forums!

The only "AJAX" Flag marking that I can remember is by the "Paramount Flag Company" of San Francisco, California. Their "AJAX" model Flags were their heavy cotton bunting ones. I believe that the Paramount Flag Company went out of business years ago, but you can still find some of their Flags on eBay.

BTW : A "4x10 FT" Flag is a VERY odd-sized Flag! Perhaps it is a "4x6 FT" or a "6x10 FT." Flag?

Here is a "close-up" photo of a Paramount "AJAX" logo printed on one of their Flag's canvas "header".

[​IMG]

You can find a little more information about the Paramount flag Company HERE :

http://bearflagmuseum.blogspot.com/2013/06/paramount-flag-company-of-san-francisco.html#!/2013/06/paramount-flag-company-of-san-francisco.html

I'm sorry that I couldn't be of more help in solving your Flag "mystery"!

Good Luck!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

armymomx3 likes this.
  3. armymomx3

armymomx3 New Member

thank you so much for your reply! I guess the mystery continues. I agree the size is odd so much so I did measure to confirm the stamp on the flag. I did attach a photo of the "stamp mark". I guess I will continue to search for answers and maybe, crossing fingers, somewill see this post who can solve the mystery of the 4x10 48 star flag

Attached Files:

4. Robin Hickman

Which direction are the Stars pointing?

If a single point is pointing towards the canvas header, then you might have what is known as a "pulldown".
    Pulldowns are tall, narrow banners which are meant to be hung vertically, with the blue, star-filled, Union in the upper left-hand corner. They are usually hung in pairs on either side of the main entrance of a building.

Robin

armymomx3 likes this.
  5. armymomx3

armymomx3 New Member

hi Robin. I took this picture of the stars. There are 2 grommets on the seam

Attached Files:

6. Robin Hickman

Hmmm...

The Stars on your Flag look perfectly "regular" (they look like they should look). So, I doubt that it is some kind of a "pulldown". The only other thing I can think of is that it might be some kind of burial (casket, funeral, interment, etc.) Flag. BUT... to my knowledge, "Interment Flags" are usually 5x9½ feet in size so that they are large enough to fit over a casket.

Also, your Flag appears to have steel (or maybe zinc) grommets instead of the "standard" brass grommets. The only time that was a "regular" practice was during World War 2, when brass was needed for the "war effort", and steel was used instead. And from 1912 to 1959 (including WW2) there were 48 Stars on our Flag.

I am at a loss. I am NOT an "expert" in this area in any way, shape, or form. I am more of an "every day" kind of "Flag Man" who tries to address the "every day" sort of Flag questions that people bring here. I'd been hoping that I'd be able to share some of what I've learned here to help you. But, apparently, I have not yet learned enough over the years to be of any further assistance.

We have three or four experts who are members here, and I was hoping that one or two of them might check out this thread and lend us their expertise. But... since they have not, I will provide a link to someone who IS an expert in older (vintage & antique) American Flags. His name is Jeff Bridgman, and he is a REAL expert when it comes to older American Flags. He really, and I mean REALLY, knows his "stuff"!

Here is a link to his website :
    http://jeffbridgman.com/

I have referred a number of folks (like you) who have "unsolved mysteries" about their older American Flags to his website. I don't know if he'll be able to help you or not, but it wouldn't hurt to ask him, right?

[ Edit/Add : If you contact Mr. Bridgman, he will probably want to know everything YOU know about your Flag. He will probably also want to see some pictures of your Flag, including some close-ups that might reveal some of the details of the Flag's construction. ]

I wish I could have been of more assistance in helping you to solve your "Flag Mystery"!

If Mr. Bridgman (or anybody else) solves your mystery, please come back and let us know about it! OK?

Thank You!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

7. armymomx3

armymomx3 New Member

I appreciate all your efforts! I'll report back anything I learn. Thank you so very much

Kim

8. Robin Hickman

Thank You, Kim (ArmyMomx3) !!!

Robin