48 Star Flag "BEST"

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by Nicholschaz, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Nicholschaz

Nicholschaz New Member

Hello, I purchased an old flag today from a flea market. Upon further inspection I noticed it only has 48 stars. I did some research online but am hoping someone here can give me a little more info on it. It is a 3x5 cotton flag. It has two steel grommets and has a black ink stamp.
    The stamp says:
    "BEST"
    cotton bunting
    two ply x two ply
    ??"VAT" dyes?? --this line is hard to reread

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. mike123

mike123 New Member

I think "BEST" is the manufacturer.
    the rest of whats on there is the construction of the flag and of course, it's hoist and fly dimensions.
    It was probably made between 1912 and 1959.
    Others on this site may be familiar with the manufacturer, and hence be able to possibly narrow it's date.

3. csaanv

csaanv Member

Acually, "Best" was the name of Valley Forge's higher grade cotton flag. I need to check my VF catalog but I want to say this is mid-20th century (before '59), maybe pre-war. Let me get back to you on that. Nick, maybe you can help us to narrow down the time period.

4. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

"Best" is the grade of cotton bunting used in the flag, and it was a name used by Valley Forge. The only other thing I see that could help you date the flag is that the grommets appear to be steel rather than brass or bronze. The copper based alloys were critical war materials and could not be spared for making flags or even pennies during WW II.
    Nick

5. Jason

Jason New Member

I have obtained a 5' x 9'6'' Bulldog bunting 48star flag it is in really good shape and everything is sewn and sewn in individual Strips and all the stars are sewn in as well I'm looking for any information on this flag...From what I have seen on here and a few other places it was made between 1912-1959..

6. csaanv

csaanv Member

Hi Jason and welcome! Your flag is probably a casket/interment flag that the government gives to families of deceased veterans. The government contracts civilian flag makers to make these interment flags. Bulldog bunting was a type of cotton used by the Dettra flag company which was later bought out by the Aninn flag company. Since WW2 millions of these flags have been made and are still quite common. Most likely your flag is post WW2. Could you post some photos of the flag, then we can better nail down the date.
    Warmest regards,
    mike

7. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Your flag was made by Dettra Flags as they patented the Bulldog cotton bunting for flags about 1905. However, flags of wool bunting were the most common up to and including World War II. Cotton flags were more common in the 1950's until taken over by nylon and polyester in the latter third of the 20th C. Your flag was lilkely an internment, or "casket" flag as that was the size designated for funerals. Many 48 star casket flags remain in excellent condition as they have been carefully stored by loved ones of the deceased veteran.
    Nick A
    Columbia Maryland

8. Jason

Jason New Member

Thank you for your quick reply. I am getting the pictures as we speak and will load them up...I have this flag hung on my wall with some other flags as well like the old Georgia flag that I got along with this one...If this is some deceased veteran I think I will have to do something else with it. I'm really not sure even how to hang the flag on a wall the right way and don't mean any disrespect to our country or our flag but I have always liked flags and came across these and had to have them. And for $25 I could not pass them down.. My dad passed on May 3rd of this year and he is a Korean vet and Vietnam vet and would not want to disrespect any of our vets as well. My mother was presented with the flag and she then passed it to me and said that the youngest son should have it...I had a case built for it along with all the medals and patches my dad had gotten thru his Military career. Thou he did not have all of them his self I was able to get a list of all of them he had earned and tracked them down all over the place. And I think if this was a vets Flag then he deserves the same respect as my father and any other vet that fought for our country .Again thank you for the fast reply

9. Jason

Jason New Member

10. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Glad to be of some assistance.
    See this part of the USA Flags Forum for flag protocol:

American Flag Protocol - Display | USA Flag Site

We appreciate his service to our country.

Good quality 48 star flags are gaining in value. Ten to 20 years ago you couldn't give them away. Now people are appreciating the fact that they are all more than 50 years old, and flew over this nation during WWI, WWII, and the Korean War.

Nick A
    Columbia Maryland

11. csaanv

csaanv Member

Jason,
    Looking at your photo it looks like the flag is hung correctly. I think you honor both your father and the other vet just by displaying the flag. I am sure they would aprove.
    mike

12. CASHIESAN

CASHIESAN New Member

This is related but separate - I have a similar flag described: 48 star 3 '6" x 6' 8"Dettra Bulldog bunting Best, with the non-brass grommets. From everything I've read on this thread so far, seems this would be WWII dated (48 star non-brass grommets) but this flag has a doubly reinforced patch in the fabric adjacent to each grommet - one that contains a star on the blue background; and one that is part of the red stripe. I assume this was done by the manufacturer to reinforce the area around the grommets that would be pulled when flying. Can anytone tell me if you've seen this before and if this is typical? (and/or any other thoughts you have on this flag). Thank you! IMG_6499.JPG
    IMG_7710.jpg

13. csaanv

csaanv Member

Hi Cashiesan,
    The reinforcement patches or gussets as they are called are required for most government flags, especially the U.S. Navy for the very reason you mentioned. Also the size of your flag which is not typical for a civilian flag was part of an Executive Order of President Taft dated June 24, 1912 which standardized the number stars, sizes of flags, etc. I should mention that even through a flag might have the zinc/steel grommets they could have been left overs from World War 2 and not used until later into the 1950s or even retired without use. I have one such 48 star naval flag that was still in a plastic bag, never flown, mint condition. It seems one of your image files didn't unload could you try that again. I would love to see the entire flag if you have it. From the stamp on the header, your flag was contracted out by the government and made by the Dettra Flag company. Since most naval flags were made of wool bunting back then maybe your flag was for another government agency?
    Cheers.

14. CASHIESAN

CASHIESAN New Member

Thanks Mike! Fingers crossed these load properly. . .
    IMG_7716.JPG
    IMG_7711.jpg
    IMG_7715.JPG
    IMG_7712.jpg
    IMG_7713.jpg

Attached Files:

15. CASHIESAN

CASHIESAN New Member

IMG_7716.jpg IMG_7713.jpg IMG_7715.jpg

oops -- one more time!

16. csaanv

csaanv Member

Very nice! This is a nice size and it looks good.