48 star flag identification and grommet question

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by Cat, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Cat

Cat New Member

Bought this 48 star flag in Tennessee (at the worlds longest yard sale), and curious to date it. The grommets are metal, not brass which lends to WWII it seems. So I'm thinking 1942-ish? I'm very curious as to why there are so many grommets and if that means anything. There is a label that states defiance. Any insights? Thank you!!!

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, Cat!

Welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forums!

Although I can't give you a date (approximate, or otherwise) for your Flag, I think circa World War 2 (or shortly thereafter) would be fairly close.

To the best of my knowledge, "Defiance" is/was the model (brand) name used by Annin & Company flag manufacturers for their heavy-duty 2-ply cotton flag bunting. I think that Annin used the "Defiance" brand name at least from sometime in the 1950's (perhaps earlier) up until 1998 or 1999, when they switched over to use "Bulldog", after they bought out the Dettra Flag Co.

My best guess for the multiple grommets along your Flag's hoist ("header") is that it was probably hung vertically, indoors, and the extra grommets were used to prevent the Flag from sagging in the middle. Incidentally, if the Flag were hung vertically against a wall, then the Flag should have been "reversed" (front to the wall and reverse side away from the wall) so that the canton/union would be in the upper left-hand corner.

I hope this helps! If it doesn't, then we'll just have to see if we can find some more accurate opinions on the matter!

Thank You for bringing your Flag-related question to our forums!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

Cat likes this.