48 Star Flag info needed

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by Christopher, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Christopher

Christopher New Member

Hello
    I found this 48 star flag for $15 a few weeks ago and had to have it. It is marked with "Annin & Co. France". Tell me what you think.

Attached Files:

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

First, it is made of cotton with sewn stripes, and dyed stars.

Second, are you sure it says "FRANCE" and not "DEFIANCE" ??

DEFIANCE was a brand of cotton bunting used by Annin and co.

Nick A
    Columbia MD

3. Christopher

Christopher New Member

I think that you may be correct. As you can see it is very light and hard to see in certain light. Thank you Nick:D

4. Christopher

Christopher New Member

Does anyone have a narrowed date that I can put to this flag besides obviously being made between July 4, 1912 and July 3, 1959. As I said before, it has dyed stars and sewn stripes. It doe not have an early type Annin tag, but "Annin & Co. DEFIANCE" stamped on the hoist.

5. csaanv

csaanv Member

I believe the Defiance line was started post WW2 or just before. Nick has a few of their older catalogs maybe he can correct me.

6. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Annin first used the "DEFIANCE" brand in an insert to their 1914 flag catalog. To my knowledge no one has tried to index the various labels that flagmakers have used over the years. Unless you know a particular flag was used to cover the casket of a veteran whose date of death is known, it is very difficult to date a commercially made 48 star flag. Combinations of sewing and printed portions on various weights of cotton fabric were used throughout the 48-star flag's reign.The US Navy made a practice of putting the date on flags made in their Navy Yard flag lofts.
    Nick A
    Columbia Maryland

7. Christopher

Christopher New Member

From what I've been reading, the stamped "Annin & Co." 48 star flags were of the early variety. Is there any truth to this?

8. csaanv

csaanv Member

I am not the authority on Aninn flags but that does seems to be the case. I don't believe they started sewing their logo labels onto the flag headers until after the War (WWII). Again, Nick can give us the definitive answer to your question.

9. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

"Nick can give us the definitive answer to your question."
    Well that's a bit of a stretch. But I do agree that sewn-on lables did evolve from stenciled / printed identification directly on the headings. I've never looked thru my flags to assess the makers labels, but now that you mention it I do have a few that might help us to ID flags in the WW II era and later thru the labels. Don't hold your breath, though. This may take some time. In the meantime, here's a few foreign flags, many of which are from the late 1940's and have DETTRA labels printed on the heading:

FOTW-Cotton2 - a set on Flickr
    Nick A
    Columbia MD

10. coasterville

coasterville Member

And I was thinking the [printed label was more common. All my *admittedly small sample size of 6* Dettra international flags have printed labels. Annin seems to always be printed. Valley Forge seems to prefer sewn on. MY 49 star VF has a sewn on label, as does one of my 50 star from them. My G-Spec flags (48 and 50 star) from them have a rather plain marking in all heavy black ink.