48 Star Flag queations!!

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by JollyRoger, Mar 11, 2011.

1. JollyRoger

JollyRoger New Member

i have a 48 star flag that i found in a old junk semi trailer, it looks cool and aged with yellow tint and some small holes, the stars are thick and look like they are patched on not sewed in with the blue. I was just wondering how unique this flag is or how much i would be able to sell it for?
    :D

Attached Files:

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Hello Roger,

Thank you for bringing your question to the USA Flag Forum.

Unfortunately, I am afraid that your 48-star flag has little monetary value.

There are still many 48-star flags available in excellent condition from the 1940's and 1950's and they generally sell for less than the retail price of brand new 50-star flags of similar size. (ie $25 and up for sewn flags - not the printed polyester stuff you can get for $5)

Your flag has staining and damage that reduce its collector value significantly, in my opinion. You may be able to find a decorator or dealer that focuses on "shabby chic" who might take if off your hands, but don't expect to buy anything especially fancy at Starbucks with the proceeds.

That being said, there are members of the Forum who may be willing to "rescue" that flag and preserve it as the historic relic that it is. Keep watching this space for further developments.

Nick A
    Columbia Maryland

3. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Welcome, Jolly Roger! We hope you enjoy the forum.

I've taken the liberty of moving your post to the "Flag Identification and Collecting" section, and deleting the duplicate posts. As Nick said, watch this space -- we have several veteran flag collectors here who may chime in.

Best,

Peter Ansoff
    Forum Admin

4. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, JollyRoger! Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site Forums! :D

To get a sense of the "market value" of your 48-Star U.S. Flag, you can do a search for it on eBay checking the COMPLETED listings. The "regular" listings will only show what people are "asking" for their 48-Star Flags, NOT what they're actually getting for them.

The COMPLETED listings will show you what people actually got (and, of course, did NOT get) for their 48-Star Flags. Those 48-Star Flag that DID sell will show a GREEN price and those that did NOT sell will show a RED price.

A few minutes ago I did a "completed listings" search for : "48-Star" +FLAG.

Here is a link to that results page :

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=%2248-Star%22+Flag&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_okw=%2248-Star%22+Flag&_oexkw=&_adv=1&LH_Complete=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=Zip+code&_fsct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=10&_dmd=1&_ipg=200&_rdc=1

There were 269 "completed listings" items in the previous 15 days at the time I searched today (Friday, March 11th, 2011). I assume that the link will be "good" for future searches, but will show different items and a different number of items.

Good Luck on your search! And Thank You for bringing your Flag-related question to our Forums! :D

Robin hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA