48 Star Flag Questions

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by maeflye, Nov 19, 2006.

1. maeflye

maeflye Guest

I have a 48 star flag that is 4 x 6 has a mark of Martin's Flag Company, Fort Dodge, Iowa. also Stantest _unting Flag. I would love some information on this flag. I could have been my dads(who was in the navy until 1959 or 1960) or my step-grandfather(who was a seabee in WWII)
    It is worn in spots so it must have been used at one time. The stars are right in the pattern of the material but evreything else is sewn in sections.

Would love any kind of information on this flag that someone could give me.
    Thanks for your time.
    Smiles:)
    Donna

2. A 48 star flag would be PRE 1950 because Hawaii and Alaska wasnt added to the United States until then. I got one for Christmas from my mom's best friend who had found it at her church and apparently nobody there wanted it. She knew if it came to my house it would have a good home. When I opened the box it was it and saw the slip of paper inside, I screamed because I immedately reconized the return address on it. The flag had originally flown over the Capitol building and I know how hard it is to get one of them. Now I need to have it refurbished since some of the white stripes have brown stains on it and I want it done professonally. I will see if I can come up with some information about thoes companies for you. Do you have the flag in one of the triangular cases or in a shadow box by chance.

3. maeflye

maeflye Guest

Anything you can help me with on this flag would be great. And no it is not displayed at all. I found it at my Dad's in a Ziplock. Only took it out to get the info off of it.
    I didn't think anyone was on this board since I never had an answer, even one saying sorry they didn't know anything. :D Otherwise I Just figured people maybe read it, then shrugged their shoulders and went on to the next one.
    Just so happy to have some actually answer. And I will be so happy to find out any info.
    Thanks again
    Smiles :rolleyes:
    Donna

4. well msam is incorrect inn the date she gave... alaska was admitted in 1959 an hawaii 1 year later 1960..... so 48 star flag is anything between 1912 and 1959 (47 years) is longest time since the flag has been changed tho i think the reocrd will get equal with arizona and shared with hawaii this july the 4th as the 50 star flag is almost 47 years old.

by meaning the stars are right inthe pattern of the material you must mean they are printed and the stripes sewn to eachother - embroidered.

martins flag company was establised 1895

i could do with a little more specifics about the flag you have ther.... any pictures of it perhaps?
    how big is the flag (in feet) and what material is it made from?-(if youdont know if i can have some pictures of the flag i may be able to tell from them)

5. maeflye

maeflye Guest

The flag is 4 x 6 has a mark of Martin's Flag Company, Fort Dodge, Iowa. also Stantest _unting Flag. It is cloth, cotton maybe. The Stars are right in the material. but the stripes are all sewn seperatley. I will gets some pictures done tomorrow and on here as soon as I can.
    Thank you again,
    Smiles :D
    Donna

6. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hi, Donna,

It sounds like you have about all the information that it will be possible to get from the flag itself. You know who the manufacturer was, and that it was probably made between 1912 and 1959. (I say "probably" because you can still buy 48-star flags -- I have one that I bought new just last year.) Your best bet is probably to do some research among your family members to see if anyone knows more.

Since your Dad and stepfather served in the Navy, it might be interesting to know if Martin ever sold flags to the Navy. Their web site is at Martin’s Flag Company. Also, they might be able to bracket the manufacture date based on the fact that it has printed stars and sewn stripes. I noticed on their site that they call this "Class B Construction," as opposed to A (embroidered stars/sewn stripes) and C (printed stripes and stars). The 48-star flags that they sell now all seem to be "Class A."

Good hunting!

Peter Ansoff
    Annandale, Virginia, USA

7. mudiomiag

mudiomiag New Member

Finest forum web page I ever observed

I am really happy to discover information I`ve looked for right here, truly incredible spot