48 Star Flag , Straight alignment Identification Help + Manufacturers List Question

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by Vectrexer, May 9, 2017.

1. Vectrexer

Vectrexer New Member

Hello All New to this forum and looking for some help.

First off, I have a 48 star flag I would like some help identifying the manufacturer. Stars are laid out with a straight alignment. Material is cotton. Specific manufacture date unknown. But I have an estimet of somewhere from 1951 to 1955.
    Below is the best picture I could take of the manufacturer data on the hoist.
    [​IMG]

Second, I have queried for a list of current and historical flag manufacturers along with a picture of their associated company information or logos. Also associated picture of the company information on the hoist if available.
    Does anyone know of a web site or forum thread that contains a central list of that information?

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Greetings, Vectrexer!

Welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forums!

First of all, for some reason your Flag's picture is NOT showing in your entry. I'm not sure if it's because my browser is not seeing it, or if it's not there to begin with. Since I cannot see your picture then I (obviously) don't have any idea what it might be. I know that if the picture is posted on-line somewhere, it's possible to insert a link to it using the "URL image" insert tool located at the top of the reply page when it's "active".

I hope you don't mind, but here are a few questions: How big is your Flag? Are the Stars sewn on, dyed/printed, embroidered, or painted on? Does your Flag have a "pole hem", "rope & toggle", or grommets (brass, steel, or zinc)? Is the manufacturer's data on the hoist/header on an attached label or sewn-in tag, or printed/dyed/painted on the fabric, or perhaps a stencil was used?

I've been a member here for about 8 years or so, and the subject of past & present Flag Manufacturers' identifying trademarks, icons, labels, stamps, stencils, box designs, etc., and being able to place them in a particular era, has come up at least five or six times (probably more). Although some individual Flags and/or their boxes have been successfully identified, I don't recall that anyone has ever compiled any kind of list, complete or otherwise, of the various manufacturers.

The discussions about the lack of a (for wont of a better word) "Flag Encyclopedia", has revolved around the fact that, historically, none of the major or minor Flag makers kept track of their "marks". Because none of them kept track of their marks, no one was able to compile a list of them. So, because none of the flag makers kept track of those parts of their individual company's histories, no one was able to gather it all up into some kind of data base.

I know that in one of my replies somewhere in these forums, I wrote a list of what flag manufacturers' names that I'd seen. I don't remember why or where, I just remember doing it.

Hopefully, you'll be able to post some pictures of your Flag! I'm sure one of our more experienced members (Experts!) would be able to recognized who made your Flag in the Flag's information is clear enough to read. I don't know how long it will take one (or more) of them read your entry and offer an opinion.

In the meantime, I'll refer you to one of our members who is a certified expert in the field of antique American Flags. His name is Jeff Bridgman, and he has a website!

http://jeffbridgman.com/

Please let us know how everything turns out! It's really GREAT when someone who asks a question, or has a story, can get some answers posted and help educate the rest of us here!!!

Thank You!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

3. Vectrexer

Vectrexer New Member

Hi Robin. Thank for the reply and resource.
    Below are a few more of my images hosted on a different site.
    Will send the URL's in a message.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Robin Hickman

Hi, Vextrexer!

It looks like you have a "standard" 5'x9½' Interment (casket, burial, funeral, etc.) Flag. I think it was made by the Collegeville Flag & Banner Co. (AKA: "Collegeville Flag & Manufacturing"), based in Collegeville, Pennsylvania. Collegeville used to also make "Halloween" costumes too. I believe that they are now out of business or were, perhaps, bought out by another Flag Company.

One of our "expert" members (NAVA1974 - AKA "Nick"), haspointed out that some of their product line of Flags were listed as "Samson Bunting", "Samson SUPER Bunting", "Stanco Quality Flags", and "Storm King Bunting".

Some other "Collegeville Flag" related posts can be found in the following "Google" search of this site:

https://www.google.com/search?q=collegeville+flag+site:www.usa-flag-site.org&lr=&as_qdr=all&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj3ruCqgffTAhUhs1QKHUeSAH8QrQIIMigEMAA#q=collegeville+flag+site:www.usa-flag-site.org&as_qdr=all&start=0&spf=1495027240692

OR :

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=Collegeville+Flag&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=USA-FLAG-SITE.org&as_occt=any&safe=images&as_filetype=&as_rights=

One thread, started in August, 2011, asked some similar questions and, more importantly, included a link to a "PhotoBucket" page that had three pictures, including one with a manufacturer's red ink stamp on the hoist.

http://www.usa-flag-site.org/forum/threads/48-star-flag-with-star-patch.9925/

I haven't checked out all the pages in the Google site-search, so I don't know if you'll be able to find any answers there or not. I hope so!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

Vectrexer likes this.
  5. Vectrexer

Vectrexer New Member

Tank you very much for the work. Having doe a few other searches based on the information you provided I can now see how the printing matches perfectly. I would not have found it without your help.

6. Robin Hickman

Hello, Vectrexer!

I'm glad we were able to shed a little light

7. Robin Hickman

I'll try posting this one more time! hopefully, the entire reply will

8. Robin Hickman

[ NOTE : This is a hand-typed "re-entry" attempt of an earlier "incomplete" entry that was somehow "corrupted" by the website's software. ]

Well, apparently, this didn't work!

9. Robin Hickman

[ NOTE : The Website's ADMIN has "fixed" the problem I've been having with posting here. The website's software has been updated. Thank You, ADMIN!!! ]

Re-Post of my "intended" post from May 19th, 2017 - One week ago...

Hello, Vectrexer!

I'm glad we were able to shed a little light on your "mystery"! Hopefully, you'll be able to "solve" it!

As always, if you find any of the entries here in the USA-FLAG-SITE forums to be of some "help" or "value", feel free to click on that entry's "LIKE" button in the lower right-hand corner of the entry.

Good Luck, and please keep us posted on your progress!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.