48 Star Flag U.s Ensign 7 help with Id & value

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by harleygirl64, Apr 5, 2011.

1. harleygirl64

harleygirl64 New Member

Hi and thanks a head of time to anyone who may be able to provide me with Identifying this flag.... Ive been searching all over untill i casme across this forum.... i also am posting pictures.... the material feels kinda course almost like a burlap bag feel to it.. there are no grommets either.. it says U.S ensign 7 and thats all i can find on it.. anyone have any idea what the value on this may be.. thank you.

2. harleygirl64

harleygirl64 New Member

3. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Greetings, HarleyGirl64 ! :D

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site Forums ! :D

I'm not sure exactly what you have, but when you've posted your pictures, THAT should help alot! The "U.S. Ensign 7" that you've mentioned indicates that your Flag was probably originally made for the U.S. Navy.

You didn't give the measurements (dimensions) of your Flag, but if you check the chart below that should give you an idea as to how big it "should" be. Be aware that the Flag might have been washed and shrunk up a little bit, or it might be a little "out of square".

My best guess right now is that your Flag is made of either wool or cotton, as those were the two main fabrics used to make U.S. Flags during the first half of the 20th century. Are the stars sewn on or embroidered?

Pictures of your Flag will be a BIG help in identifying it!

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq129-1.htm

Flag Size Number = Hoist x Fly Length (in feet)

Size 1 = 20.00' x 38.00'
    Size 2 = 19.00' x 36.10'
    Size 3 = 14.35' x 27.27'
    Size 4 = 12.19' x 23.16'
    Size 5 = 10.00' x 19.00'
    Size 6 = 8.94' x 16.99'
    Size 7 = 5.14' x 9.77'
    Size 8 = 5.00' x 9.50'
    Size 9 = 3.52' x 6.69'
    Size 10 = 2.90' x 5.51'
    Size 11 = 2.37' x 4.50'
    Size 12 = 1.31' x 2.49'

To get some idea as to the possible "market value" of your Flag, you can do a "Completed Listings" search on eBay. I just did a quick one for "48-Star" +FLAG +VINTAGE -stamps :

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=%2248-Star%22+%2BFLAG+%2BVINTAGE&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=stamps&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_okw=%2248-Star%22+%2BFLAG+%2BVINTAGE&_oexkw=stamps&_adv=1&LH_Complete=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=Zip+code&_fsct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=1&_dmd=1&_ipg=200&_rdc=1

It might take some patience and persistence, but you might find a flag or two that is similar to yours and see what kind of price they did or did not bring on eBay.

Good Luck! :D

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

4. harleygirl64

harleygirl64 New Member

pictures maybe

5. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

The very first "thread" in this Forum (Flag Identification and Collecting) is a "sticky" (it's always the first entry) titled, "How to include a photo in your posts". In the entry, American_Flag_UK (Amanda) explains step-by-step how to include a photo in your posts. The entry was made in July, 2008 and it still works.

Here's a link to it : http://www.usa-flag-site.org/forum/how-to-include-photo-your-posts-2820.html

In May, 2009, I did a slightly altered version of it to show how one could include the photos as an actual part of a thread reply.

http://www.usa-flag-site.org/forum/45-star-flag-1902-a-846-2.html

Since then, I have found another (much simpler) way of including a photo as part of a reply. It doesn't always work in every situation but it seems to work in most situations. It is the simple "Copy/Paste" method, but the photo has to be showing somewhere else first.

Just highlight the picture, right-click on it to bring up the sub-menu and select the "COPY" option. The find the location in your entry where you want to place the picture and LEFT-click there to put the flashing cursor, then right-click and select the "PASTE" option, OR hit the "Ctrl" and "V" keys on your keyboard.

I'll go find your photos on your other entry for this.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

SEE ???

NO FUSS! NO MUSS!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

6. harleygirl64

harleygirl64 New Member

THanks for helping... trust me i tried everything that was in that sticky thread to try and post my pictures.... im a real computer nerd... thanks again....